How would you fix NASCAR?

David Bentley
@david-bentley
14 years ago
9 posts
I saw some negative press on the national news regarding the Edwards/Keselowski incident and how Nascar was losing fans and the races were boring. This doesn't help any of us who have loved the sport most of our lives only to see it become too commercialized and too technical. The racing needs to be the show, not concerts or gimmicks. I know Nascar has a "fan panel" but I don't know anybody that's on it, but maybe if enough people could voice opinions here some good idea may come forward. I think some of the shock technology and other technology should be eliminated, let them go back to the old style shocks. I think the radial tire has also hurt the sport, but I don't know if going back to the bias ply tire would be an option. Gone are the days when a good driver could hustle an ill handling car, Kyle Busch is one of the best out there and even he can't make up the difference if the car isn't pretty close. I also wonder what it would be like if they went to more of a Saturday night style format where instead of a 400 or 500 mile race, they ran a couple qualifing races in order to the make the show, then a consi and a feature over the same 3-4 hour period. Start the fast guys in the back and run just enough laps to let them get to the front. Let's face it winning the pole really doesn't mean much anymore except for pit stall choice. As for the "Chase", I think it should include only the 12 finalists by themselves runing the last 5-10 races of the season on different style tracks with the ability to drop one or two bad finishes from the final tally. How to reset the points before the chase would be another debate, but qualifing race wins could play a part to keep them from sandbagging in the regular season. The "Chase" races could use qualifing laps and start by time, but be sprint type races only, maybe with one pit stop. I personally like the 3 attempt green white checker rule, it always seems to be somebody running in 10th and 11th or something that get together and ruin the finish, had McMurray not crashed on Sunday, Montoya and Busch may have been door to door at the checkered flag. At least with the 3 attempt rule the chances are much better to see a "race" for the finish. As for the lack of people in the stands, well part of that is Nascar got greedy when TV brought "new" fans to the races, that wore off and they drove away some of the old school fans by some changes they have made to the racing, but a lot of those empty seats are just because people can't afford it right now.
updated by @david-bentley: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
14 years ago
907 posts
Robbbie, good job, you hit a lot of nails squarely on the head. Numbers 6 and 7......the demise of NASCAR-support of the local Saturday night tracks has much greater potential for long-term damage, in fact, we're seeing the 'fruit' of that policy now. The sport was always built from the ground-up, a necessity that was lost when the tree huggers and the politically-correct-police ran off RJR. The scheduling of Cup events on Saturday nights is another nail in this same coffin, and (like most N-CAR policies) is a short-sighted philosopy that is totally greed motivated.
Tom
@tom
14 years ago
12 posts
Robbie, I agree your ideas. My dad and I both feel that alot of policies are stupid. The Chase has got to go, those guys outside have a right to race for the championship like the top guys do. As I recall, the reason NASCAR gave for this thing is that anybody outside of the top 12 would be unable to logically win the championship. Well, when the Chase races start, no they can't because they have been pushed out. Another thing we both think are the Cup guys should NOT be allowed to compete in the Nationwide Series. That series is for the guys who want to eventually want to move up. The Cupper have no business there, IMO. They come in and qualify well, pushing some these teams out of the race. I wholeheartedly agree with point 20! The FANS are the reason these guys are able to race. We buy the tickets, buy the products that sponsor them and NASCAR in general. The guys of the good old days stuck around after the race to meet the fans, sometimes long after the checkered flag flew. Keep in mind that these guys drove cars that were tanks compared to what the guys run today. If they could take care of the fans, so can today's drivers. There is no reason they can't take a little time with the fans.Unfortunately, I don't think Brian France is smart enough to listen to your ideas, Robbie. That's another problem as far as I'm concerened, the current management is not all that competent. Brian sure didn't learn much from Bill or Big Bill. I'm not saying that they did everything perfect, but they both seemed to know how to get things done. The one thing I noticed, is that there isn't alot of consistency in enforcing rules and fines.I still watch racing, but not to the extent I used to. I don't enjoy it as much now. Of course, I've followed since the early 80's when coverage was very minimum as child. As I've said before, the 80's are the good old days of racing for me. I miss watching the Allison's, Petty's, Gant, Yarborough, Bonnett, and many more of the day. I guess those guys are a tough act to follow in my mind.
Eric Kincaid
@eric-kincaid
14 years ago
13 posts
You guys are on the money with the changes needed in Nascar. I'll give them credit they made a good decision by stating the races at 1:00pm. Nascar has problems with cookie-cutter 1 1/2 mile tracks, cookie-cutter cars that look alike, and 500 mile races that are 400 miles of getting ready to race the last 100 miles. Bring back N.Wilkesboro, Rockingham, drop 1 race from California, and Los Vegas each and drop the crazy chase format, do away with the 35 points rule and let whoever has the fastest 43 cars enter the race. Give the winner of the race bonus points and the driver with the most wins in a season bonus points. And the TV. coverage for the entire field has gotten to improve. Hello, there are more than 5 cars in a race. And suspend Carl Edwards for 5 races. Racing is not being 135 laps down and spinning out the 6th place car with 3 laps to go. If Edwards would have done this to Dale. Jr. He would have been executed. Of course this is just my humble and accurate opinion.
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
I have a much simplier of looking at this question. I ask myself, "What were the best years of NASCAR racing?" To me the answer is the late 60's to the late 70's. So why not enforce the rules of that era with the only exceptions being in regard to the safety advances that have been put into place. Seems simple, and possibly too simple, but something that could be done. If the sport is slipping as much as we think it is, now is the time to go back to the basics and try to re-entergize the racing and the fan base. Simple is sometimes better.Bumpertag in S. Carolina
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
I think that they should drop the top 35Get rid of the chaseGet rid of DW and DiggerGo back to STOCK carsOne warningChalk Board Pit InfoLower the ticket prices - over $100 to sit in the hot sun for 3-4 hours is outragousMake it a family sport againBring more short tracksLower the field sizeGet rid of two-way radiosJust a few.-Cody
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
What I want to know is this: How can you bunch of guys, who have no monetary reward interest in the sport, come up with almost ALL the correct ideas to fix the sport when those highly educated, rich, spoiled kids enjoying the Daytona weather this time of year seem to miss it entirely? Even Cody Dinsmore, admittedly a precocious 13 year old, makes those in power in NASCAR appear to be totally inept. We are the folks who made the sport. I've said it before, and you guys have said it most eloquently, it's not that difficult to fix. Perhaps we should go back to the Burma Shave signs that used to be on the highways but this time put them instead on the "sneeze guard" of the buffet line Mike Helton goes down 8 times a day.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I agree with Robbie's comments especially #3 limiting teams to one car. Just to take it one step further... no back door satellite teams and each team must build their own engines. The "superteams" have ruined the sport. Too many resources pushing the little guy out of business..Great comments from Cody, too!Pete
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
14 years ago
907 posts
AIR-LIFT logo..........I agree, MUST BE ON PIT BOARD!! Robbie Solesbee said:
With radios go with Raceiever. It gives one way communication to driver on cautions, positions on restarts, and when the restart is coming up. Only track officials have access to this. World of Oulwas uses this for their sprint car series and if those guys can race without spotters.......well you get the picuture. But one rule should be that the airlift logo be the only one allowed on pit boards.

Cody Dinsmore said:
I think that they should drop the top 35
Get rid of the chase
Get rid of DW and Digger
Go back to STOCK cars
One warning
Chalk Board Pit Info
Lower the ticket prices - over $100 to sit in the hot sun for 3-4 hours is outragous
Make it a family sport again
Bring more short tracks
Lower the field size
Get rid of two-way radios

Just a few.

-Cody
Brian Janik
@brian-janik
14 years ago
35 posts
I would also add, if you win a race your next race start is in the rear of the field. On restarts slower cars are not allowed up front, you restart where you were when the caution came out. You hit the leader you go to the back of the pack even on the last lap. I would like to see qual races and consi again. Unfortunatly Brian France is only interested in his bank account not the fans pocketbook. Robbie Solesbee said:
1) Disband the organization as we know it and go back to the basics.
2) Go back to the old mix of dirt tracks and short tracks. Super speedway races would be held only on the original tracks built before 1970.
3)Limit car owners to one car. Exceptions will be considered so a driver from another series can have a competitive car at select super speedway events.
4)Go back to production body panels. If you cannot buy the body part at the dealer it does not go on the car. Cutting and flaring fenders for tire clearance is acceptable.
5) Do away with provisional starts. No top 35, no owners points, no championship provisionals. In the case of the qualifying races at Daytona .The front row is locked. The rest of the field is determined by the finish. In other words-go fast or go home. If Mr. Superstar does not make the race- tough.
6) Don't kill your sanctioned local tracks by running Saturday night events.
7) Funnel some of those big profits in the local track programs,
8)Car owners are limited to fielding cars in two series' only. No back dooring of "development teams" through ARCA or other feeder series'.
9)Ticket prices will be reduced and total purses will be lower as well since you, the team owner, no longer have all these race teams to support. No special all star type races.
10)If your car is found illegal in the tech shed. you are DQ'd. No points. No money. This argument of the fans should know who won the race before they left the track is bogus. You can stay until teardowns are completed if you wish.
11) The pre-raceshow will consist of driver introductions, the invocation and National Anthem only.
12) One tire compound will be available for each type track- i.e- one for super tracks, one for intermediate speedways, one for paved short tracks. The only exeception will be for dirt where you will be allowed two compunds. This should cut that tire bill everybody whines about.
13) The points you get are the points you earn, period.
14) No free passes to make up a lap. If you can't beat the leader to the yellow. Tough.
15) If the race is 200 laps. The cars run 200 laps. If the race finishes under caution, well, that's life,
16) The start finish line at Darlington will be moved back to it's original position.
17) Rough driving-one warning- No penalty box. You get parked just like the local tracks do it. And that comes with no meney, no points as well.
18) Off track fights result in suspension from the next event, It does not matter if it's the driver or one crewman. The whole team is suspended, an no you will not be allowed in the pit area to watch.
19) The points for all scheduled races count the same. No more chase.The guys out of the top ten have a right to race their way into the top ten.
20) The pits and garage area will be open to fans as soon as the track is clear-Just like 30 years ago. So get out those Sharpies or be prepared to hideout in your trailer or motorhome.
James&Rosetta Werner
@jamesrosetta-werner
14 years ago
2 posts
I think you should let the racers be themselves. If they get upset let them go to the pit of the racers pit and tell the guy what he thinks. Don't bleep them or fine them for speaking their mind. We all do this on a daily basis and why do they have to pay for what we all think. Stop being so corporate sponsored and let them have a say in what they do .Let them be real not all fake. Not saying it is fake but it isn't as interesting.
David Bentley
@david-bentley
14 years ago
9 posts
I knew when I started this some good ideas would come out of it, but Tim leeming hit the nail on the head when he stated the obvious problem. Common sense plays no part in most of the rules & decisions made these days, corporate pocket books do. It's all about lining the pockets of the people who make the rules and the people and companies whose pockets are effected by those rules. If you don't think it's a "who knows who", and "who you are" playing field, just think back to what happened to independent, non corporate sponsored Carl Long when he was caught with a motor that was oversized by such a little amount that it probably wouldn't have given him another mph or 2 on the track at Charlotte I believe. Motor was probably a worn out piece the big funded teams couldn't risk running any longer. Fine was way, way up there if I remember correctly.Wonder what would have happened if it had been Carl Long who flipped Brad Kesowloski instead of Carl Edwards?
Jim Nodine
@jim-nodine
14 years ago
1 posts
NASCAR needs to get back to "stock cars". Let a Ford be a Ford and a Chevy be a Chevy. There was a time when fans could identify when the cars, but those cars out of the track today are no more a Ford or Chevy than the Freightliner truck that I used to drive, they are "racing machines". And while we are talking about "identifying" with racing, how can the average race fan identify with someone like Dale Jr. who made over 30 million dollars last year?? What was the highest income that Herb Thomas or Marshall Teague made??
Rob Amos2
@rob-amos2
14 years ago
7 posts
I would let the older drivers who can still drive get back in the series. Help them get sponsorship instead of putting up barriers. Not everyone wants a young driver that will tear up equipment on a weekly basis. Bring them back. Test them and let them RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!