WHAT'S IN A NAME????? YOU TELL ME!!! PLEASE!!!!

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts

Hello Folks,

We at Racers Reunion and collecting a list of names, actually nicknames, of drivers throughout the history of stock car racing. There was Herman "The Turtle" Beam, Crawfish Crider, Speedy Thompson, Cotton Owens, Buck Baker....... well, you get the idea. We talked about this on our Tuesday night radio show, live each Tuesday from 7:00 til 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Racers Reunion Radio. Many nicknames were thrown out and about by just the members of the radio show staff. We know all you fans out there can add to this list.

So, come on, start adding. Each Tuesday night for the next few weeks we'll pick out some of the names at random to use on the air. Come on, Lil' Bud, Bubba Into, Crash Singleton, and others. Add to the list. We look forward to putting together a list of famous stock car racing nicknames.

Thanks,

Tim (The Legend) See? Even I have one.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Kevin Andrews
@kevin-andrews
14 years ago
12 posts
"Windin" Wayne Andrews
Lynn Hughes
@lynn-hughes
14 years ago
3 posts
J.D. "Slick" Johnson, III
Joyce Smith
@joyce-smith
14 years ago
5 posts
Stick Elliott
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
Barefoot Stew McdonaldGeorge "Doggie" DunnFrank "Reble" MundyBanjo MatthewsFonty FlockTiny LundSkimp HerseyPee Wee MartinFireball RobertsRoscoe "Pappy"HoughGober SosebeePerk BrownIggy KatonaBuddy ShumanBlackie Pitt
Unique Hiram
@unique-hiram
14 years ago
6 posts
Charles "Red" FarmerFred "The Golden Boy" Lorenzen"Alfalfa" Jim Roper
Lynn Hughes
@lynn-hughes
14 years ago
3 posts
Coo Coo MarlinFriday HasslerBuddy BakerHut Stricklin
Jimmie Collins
@jimmie-collins
14 years ago
4 posts
Red Byron
Jimmie Collins
@jimmie-collins
14 years ago
4 posts
Can someone tell me why "squirrel and "squirrel Sr." are seen on the petty cars, a few times in the early 60's?
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
"Super Tex" A. J. FoytRufus Parnell "Parnelli" JonesTiger Tom PistoneJeep IacobucciJoy Fair (his real name!) aka Joy UnfairConan "Moose" MyersHarry Foote, jrVern "Flip" Fritch"The Polar Bear" Mike Eddy"The Iron Fireman" Tommy Maier"The Green Hornet" Ed Howe"The Bluebird" Bob Senneker"Polecat" Ray Daniels
William Horrell
@william-horrell
14 years ago
175 posts
Everett C, ''Hoss'' Ellington''Chargin'' Charlie Glotzbach''Lone Star J.R''. Johnny Rutherford''Ironman'' Jack Ingram''Terrible Tommy'' Ellis
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Roy "Buckshot" Jones"Little David the giant killer" Pearson
William Horrell
@william-horrell
14 years ago
175 posts
Richard was once nicknamed squirrel, by whom and why I do not know. In turn Lee became Squirrel sr. Jimmie Collins said:
Can someone tell me why "squirrel and "squirrel Sr." are seen on the petty cars, a few times in the early 60's?
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
14 years ago
4,073 posts
"Mr. Excitement" Jimmy SpencerPossum JonesJimmy "Smut" Means"The King" Richard PettyCurtis "Pops" Turner"Little Joe" Weatherly"Clown Prince of Racing" Jabe ThomasCurtis "Crawfish" CriderPeeWee JonesFrog Fagan

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
William Horrell
@william-horrell
14 years ago
175 posts
Cecil ''Flash'' Gordon and also could absolutely identify four drivers just by one nick name, ''The Alabama Gang''
Joyce Smith
@joyce-smith
14 years ago
5 posts
Down T own Michael BROWNSmokey Unick
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
thought you were Elvis at least thats what i was told o great one
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
how about a little known ga racer from north ga BUCK SHOT JONES anybody remember him???
Kevin Andrews
@kevin-andrews
14 years ago
12 posts
Can't believe no one has said this. "The Intimidator" Dale Earnhardt
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Oh yes, I remember him. I think his car was 00 which would be Double-Aught buckshot for 12 gauge shotgun shells. Can't say I was a big fan, but what a cool name.Pete johnny mallonee said:
how about a little known ga racer from north ga BUCK SHOT JONES anybody remember him???
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
We had a new driver at Raleigh, he wrecked many times. Joe Epton named him Shotgun Carroll. Besides being Chief Scorer for Nascar, Joe was also the Raleigh Track Manager.
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
14 years ago
214 posts
pancho -marvin panch-fearless freddie-fred lorenzen-genthman ned-ned jarrett-chargin charlie glozbach-ronda road runner-junior johnson-flash-gordon-cecil gordon-leadfoot-buddy baker-handsome harry-harry gant-mr. september-harry gant-king richard-richard petty-texas terry-terry labonte-the man in black-dale earnhaedt-the gentle giant-buddy baker
James&Rosetta Werner
@jamesrosetta-werner
14 years ago
2 posts
now can't remember the names that go with but a few names that I remember flying around the track are: hotdog, crash, and slick. I'm a home girl from Kalamazoo speedway though and hartford dirt track.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
James and Rosetta, this might have been before your time, but when Bud Lindeman was the track announcer at the Grand Rapids Speedrome he nicknamed Bob Senneker "Rip Tass" when Bob showed up with a tore uniform. This is from a good friend and fellow Racers Reunion member Bob Bird from Holland, Mi. (If you say it real fast you'll know what part of the uniform was torn.) James&Rosetta Werner said:
now can't remember the names that go with but a few names that I remember flying around the track are: hotdog, crash, and slick. I'm a home girl from Kalamazoo speedway though and hartford dirt track.
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
"THE CANTON KID" BOSCO LOWE
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
"THE BENT CREEK BANDIT" BOB PRESSLEY
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
ROY"CHATTER"CHATAM
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
NED"REDHEADED"SETZER
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
"BIG"BENNY KERLEY
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
"THE MAN ON GO" BOSCO LOWE
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
"SUFFERIN"SAM HYATT
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
"HIGH AND WIDE"HARRY GANT
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
RONNIE"CRATE" PAYNE
greg minter
@greg-minter
14 years ago
10 posts
I cant belive no one included this: "The Silver fox" David Pearson,......others not mentioned..."Rapid" Richard Petty(2nd nickname), "Perk" Brown, Reds Kagle(real name?), Red Foote, Donald "Satch" Worley, Carl "Bugs" Stevens, "Jaws" Waltrip, Ernie "Swervin'" Irvan,The "Rushville Rocket Tony Stewart, "Front Row" Joe Nemechek, I could go on & on...but my favorite nickname goes to a crew chief(the only one that should be included here), "Suitcase" Jake Elder...we miss ya, Jake
August Matthew Savarese
@august-matthew-savarese
14 years ago
9 posts
List of Current Drivers- Tony Stewart: Smoke- Dale Earnhardt Jr: Junebug- Kyle Busch: Rowdy- Kevin Harvick: Happy- David Ruitemann: Franchise- Greg Biffle: Biff- Joey Logano: Sliced Bread- Jeff Burton: Mayor- Ryan Newman: Rocket- Brian Vickers: Sheriff- Carl Edwards: Cousin CarlAny my favorite: Jimmy "Smut" Means
Warren Carpenter
@warren-carpenter
14 years ago
8 posts
Paul "The Ghost" Gose from Morristown, Tennessee.
Vince Ellis
@vince-ellis
14 years ago
1 posts
Bill (SLAB) Widenhouse , this is per Dink
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
"The Buckeye Bullet" Dave Blaney"Woodchopper" Glen Wood
Warren Carpenter
@warren-carpenter
14 years ago
8 posts
Tommy Creswell and I were talking last night and came up with a couple more:Herbert "Tootle" EstesHomer "The Duncan Dynamo" Owens
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
havent been on here in a while....so here are some:"Handsome" Harry GantMr. September Harry GantRapid Roy HallLightning Lloyd SeayAwesome Bill from DawsonvilleMillion Dollar BillGentlemen Ned JarrettIf I can think of more, I'll post them later
connie sluder
@connie-sluder
14 years ago
1 posts
bob pressley was also called (rapid robert)
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
Paul Pappy was in my segment last week. That's an odd name.
lana glotzbach graham
@lana-glotzbach-graham
14 years ago
1 posts
Chargin' Charlie Glotzbach
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
14 years ago
327 posts
- Shorty York- Fuzzy Linville- Peanut Brown- Whitey Norman- Pap White- Slim Rominger- Toots Jenkins- Handlebars Walden
Duane Goins
@duane-goins
14 years ago
13 posts
if you will....You can all welcome APRIL DAVES to Racers Reunion,& maybe she can tell you how her Daddy, STICK ELLIOTT got his 'stage' ,not nickname...dmg