Stock Car Racing Pioneer, Raymond Parks, Dies at the age of 96

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
I just now received notification that racing pioneer, Raymond Parks died peacefully at the age of 96. Along with his many contributions to the sport of auto racing, Mr. Parks won the first NASCAR sanctioned championship with driver Red Vogt in 1949.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Park's family. He will be missed.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®

updated by @jeff-gilder: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

--
Frank Craig
@frank-craig
14 years ago
71 posts
I feel realy sad today we lost a true southern gentleman.God bless Mr.Parks and his family.
LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
14 years ago
117 posts
OUR THOUGHS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE FAMILY.WE MUST THANK RAYMOND FOR HISVISION AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO NASCAR.WITHOUT HIM NASCAR WOULD NOT BE WHAT IT IS TODAY.THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.YOU WILL BE MISSED.LAVERNE ZACHARYHISTORIC SPEEDWAY GROUP
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Words cannot be written to describe who and what we lost last nite. Only he was a man among men with a vision and a heart..
Joan Beck
@joan-beck
14 years ago
1 posts
MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE PARKS FAMILY WE WILL TRULY MISS MR. PARKS
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
14 years ago
327 posts
What a fascinating and great man Raymond Parks was. God bless him for what he did for the sport of racing and for what he meant to so many people. Thank you Mr. Parks.
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
Our Prayers go out to the Parks Family i was lucky to see Mr Parks 2 weeks ago at JB Days over in Easley SC he will be missed his Birthday Cake said 97 years but i do no he was with us a long time may God Bless
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
14 years ago
907 posts
Thoughts and prayers to the family of Mr. Parks. What an individual, his contributions to the sport of stock car racing will remain. Thank you Mr. Parks, you will be missed. God Speed and God Bless.
Mike Ray
@mike-ray
14 years ago
41 posts
Our thought's and prayer's go out to the family's of Mr.Raymond Parks.He was there before Nascar and the beginnings.R.I.P. Mr.Parks,Ms.Hotrod and Mike Ray
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
14 years ago
214 posts
it was honor yo meet mr. raymond park my thoughts and prayers are to his family .will be missed
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
I pray God's comfort on the Parks' family. Further, upon everyone who knew this great individual. Mr. Parks is the reason there is a NASCAR. The France family gets the credit because Raymond was the epitome of the southern gentleman and refused to seek the glory that was rightfully his for the formation and financing of the stock car racing enterprise. His contributions to the sport cannot be measured. It was truly an honor every time I was able to speak with the man. God bless Raymond and all the Parks family.Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
This is terrible! I found out about this early this morning, and it was just so unexpected. I even think he was feeling pretty good at the party because I heard he was pointing out stuff in pictures and remembering a few details. He just lived the dream and the ultimate life. Raymond.....you will be missed by friends, family, fans, and folks who never even got the chance to meet ya!-Cody
Devin
@devin
14 years ago
618 posts
I was out of town when I heard the news at 2:27 p.m. It has been a sad afternoon. I thought of Mr. Parks, his family and our RR family all afternoon until returning to Columbia. After my return I went outside to enjoy the fresh air as it had gotten cooler. I looked up to the sky and this is what I saw:

The last time I saw a double rainbow was when I question my brother's passing and whether or not he was safe one afternoon. I know Mr. Parks is at peace and with angels, and is no doubt having a large discussion about racing. My thoughts are with everyone.
Harvey Tollison
@harvey-tollison
14 years ago
226 posts
I am blessed to have met Mr. Raymond at J.B. Day's Birthday party for him. Two years I got to sit by the riversde and visit with Mr. Raymond. May GOD bless and comfort his family
Jay Sellers
@jay-sellers
14 years ago
65 posts
Thanks to Jeff Gilder I was able to meet Mr Parks at his birthday party last year, and had my picture taken with him.He was a living legend since I was a small boy.What a loss to the world of stock car racing.
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
14 years ago
488 posts
I don't know what to say...he was the God Father of stock car racing.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

I cant believe it--Nascar gave Mr Parks front billing today --and Fox Sports put it on their home page for racing-- I am speechless and even mentioned him going into the Hall of Fame too.. Also they said he was at the get together for his Birthday too. Maybe he will make it in yet. If the Lords a willing and the creek dont rise
Brandon Reed
@brandon-reed
14 years ago
30 posts
I've said all the words I can for today on my feelings of the loss of Mr. Parks. But I can say this......all of us who met him, who honored him, who admired him and what he did......will do what we can to make the case for him to be in NASCAR's Hall of Fame. They made an unbelievable blunder in not giving him his due while he was with us. Now it's up to us, those of us who know the REAL story of what went on back then, to make sure his legacy lives on and to keep telling the story.Folks, I drive for Mr. Raymond Parks.