Name Me Some Racing Movies Please

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
For a project with the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame, I would like to request Racing/Moonshine/Car related movies to show at the hof once a month. I've got a small list of the more popular movies....like Smokey and the Bandit, Days of Thunder, Thunder Road, etc. It doesn't matter if they were popular, how old they are or anything....I would just like a list of as many as ya'll can think!Thank You Very Much-Cody
updated by @cody-dinsmore: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
13 years ago
327 posts
Cody, there is a movie called "The Last American Hero" based on Junior Johnson and starring Jeff Bridges that always got great reviews. I've yet to see it myself, but will watch it as soon as I find a copy.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
You'll also find Last American Hero titled as "Hard Driver". Cup footage was filmed at Martinsville featuring R Petty & B Allison. My fav is the documentary "Tiny Lund, Hard Charger".

Robert Mitchell said:
Cody, there is a movie called "The Last American Hero" based on Junior Johnson and starring Jeff Bridges that always got great reviews. I've yet to see it myself, but will watch it as soon as I find a copy.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
13 years ago
626 posts
You allso got Fred Lorenzen in Speed Lover i think it was a Z movie allso FireBall 500
Don Smyle
@don-smyle
13 years ago
23 posts
Thunder In Carolina, filmed at Darlington...also Corky, starring Robert Blake...
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
13 years ago
177 posts

43: The Petty Story (which I have...)

Born To Race (filmed around 1986-87)

And CAN'T forget Stroker Ace!

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
13 years ago
169 posts
From 1965 "Red Line 7000"
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts
I found "Thunder in Carolina" a few years ago on the back shelf of the local "Movie Max" BEFORE they went out of business, and it was titled "Hard Drivin'".
D. Mudd
@d-mudd
13 years ago
12 posts

Looks like you can rent or download "The Last American Hero" from iTunes, and here is the movie trailer for it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQVFjJ13eTY

And regarding the Corky movie with Robert Blake, if I remember correctly I believe there is some great footage in that movie shot at Atlanta Speedway (the old track configuration of course, complete with guard rails in the turns).

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
13 years ago
514 posts

Ok Cody you ask and now you shall receive. AppalachianState College has complied a list of racing movies.

http://www.library.appstate.edu/stockcar/movies.html

And one not one their list Short Track a movie about UARA STARS Late Model Touring Series.

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
Thanks for the quick and helpful replys everyone! I've heard of and seen the ones like "Last Great American Hero" and "Greased Lighting" Both were great movies!! However, I have not seen thunder in carolina or redline 7000. We were also considering using some old hot rod/drag racing films like "Rebel Without a Cause" and some of the more low-budget films that no-one knows about! There was also "White Lightnin' Road" made in 1965..filmed in Cumming Ga.Thank You everyone for your input. We will have a board meeting at the hof tomorrow, and by then we will hopefully have a list to put together to show movies at least once a month!-Cody
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
I just checked that out...and all I have to say is....WOW! Someone really done their research! Thanks for the link!

S.T.A.R.S. Radio said:

Ok Cody you ask and now you shall receive. AppalachianState College has complied a list of racing movies.

http://www.library.appstate.edu/stockcar/movies.html

And one not one their list Short Track a movie about UARA STARS Late Model Touring Series.

N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
13 years ago
121 posts
Thunder In Carolina was one of the better ones and I have a DVD copy of it, if I can burn one, you could use that. Most of that was shot at Darlington, and Florence-Hartsville, and even used the old Darlington Motel, which is still there and down the street from the speedway. Bob Colvin was the producer. Also, Grand Prix was one of the better films although not stock car related.
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
13 years ago
242 posts

The Big Wheel

Mickey Rooney

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
13 years ago
242 posts

Speedway

J.C. HAYES
@jc-hayes
13 years ago
37 posts
HOW ABOUT CORVETTE SUMMER, DIE HARD TRILOGY , LETHAL WEAPON 4, TUCKER THE TRUE STORY , GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS THE ONE WITH OUT NICOLAS CAGE
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
13 years ago
242 posts

The Crowd Roars

James Cagney

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts
here is list-tiny lund the hard charger,stoke ace,six pack,talladega night,the dale earnhardt story,hebie the love bug,cannonball run
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts
here two more robert blake in movieas corky,fireball 500
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
Thanks a million guys!! Our meeting was postponed today, but I now have a hefty list to pick from. The think is.....not every movie will be on dvd or even available for that matter. We'll make it work somehow!Thank You-Cody
Suzanne Wise
@suzanne-wise
13 years ago
1 posts
Cody, have a look at the lengthy list of racing movies on the Stock Car Racing Collection page (a collection held by the Appalachian State University Library). Go directly to the list at http://guides.library.appstate.edu/racing_movies
Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
13 years ago
308 posts
Great job Suzanne first time I have seen this list....

Suzanne Wise said:
Cody, have a look at the lengthy list of racing movies on the Stock Car Racing Collection page (a collection held by the Appalachian State University Library). Go directly to the list at http://guides.library.appstate.edu/racing_movies
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
Thank You Suzanne! And great job!-Cody
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
Thanks Wally!
Mack Sarvis
@mack-sarvis
13 years ago
1 posts

Thunder in Carolina was one of the greatest racing movies ever filmed. Filmed in Darlington and local short tracks using local talent and real racers. The stars were Rory Calhoun, Alan Hale, Connie Hines and John Gentry. This is still my favorite racing movie-still watch it often. Mack Sarvis-Palmetto Motorsports.

Russell Rector
@russell-rector
13 years ago
80 posts
Dick Wallen Productions has some great film clips of the 60's NASCAR and USAC stock car racing. He even had a camera in Tiny Lund's galaxie. Riding around with Tiny was fantastic.
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
Thank You!
Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
13 years ago
171 posts

Sam Ard drove his 00 car in this movie. Any time the car was moving, Sam was driving. There are still shots with Jeff Bridges under the wheel of the 00 car. You can order a dvd copy on E-Bay.
Robert Mitchell said:
ron thruman
@ron-thruman
13 years ago
1 posts

Fever heat filmed in iowa 1968 starring nick adams who was in " Rebel without a cause " i have it on dvd. and anotherone called "Jump" still on dvd made by cannon films filmed in iowa & fla. 1971 freind of mine by the name of bill beckman of lisbon ia. was a "stunt driver " on that film.

Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
13 years ago
171 posts
I just bought 2 new copies of Thunder in Carolina on e-bay.

Perry Allen Wood said:
As far as I'm concerned, Thunder In Carolina is the Gone with the Wind of stock car racing movies and maybe racing flicks in general. It was filmed mostly in South Carolina, has a big-name star in Rory Calhoun who is a dead-ringer for Curtis Turner, Connie Hines who was Wilbur's wife on Mr. Ed, and Alan Hale, Jr., before he was The Skipper on Gilligan's Island. There arecameos by Buck Baker, Joe Weatherly, Shep Langdon, Elmo Henderson, and Joe Caspolich.Neil Castles did the stunts and lots of legendary drivers are mentioned throughout. And not to be ignoredare the fabulous public address announcing and on-camera shots of the incomperable Ray Melton at Darlington. Nobody except maybe Tom Carnagie at Indianapolis ever was the signature PA voice of a major speeedwayas they were. Even the bigshot car owner, Mr. Riechert, was played by Ed Mcgrath, who at the time of the filming in 1959 was the sports editor for the Spartanburg Herald-Journal. TIC was ridiculed at the time of its release in 1960, but now is aquite accurate snapshop of racing of that era. If you could only find one movie to show, it should be Thunder In Carolina. My family and I watch itonce a year, the Friday night before the Darlington race now renamed the Southern 500, and it is sort of a family event.
Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
13 years ago
171 posts
I just finished watching Greased Lightening.It was a great movie based on a true story.

Wally Bell said:
Greased Lightning....
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
Yes, I've heard that it is the best movie about racing there is! I have to say, it has drama, and comedy, and plenty of racing! It is a great movie!
Ron Spease Jr
@ron-spease-jr
13 years ago
2 posts
red line 7000 a good one to have