Where were the fans

Harvey Tollison
@harvey-tollison
14 years ago
226 posts
Looking at the crowd saturday night at Chicagoland, I've seen biger crowds for a Nationwide race at Bristol . Them cookie cutter cars draws in brand loyality still ?
updated by @harvey-tollison: 09/24/18 01:38:07PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
Harvey, this is something I have been noticing all season. Daytona on July 3rd looked pretty good until you consider the back straight grandstands weren't even open. The economy seems to be front and center in all such conversations, but it must be more than that. We'll just have to wait. I was amazed, however, with the number of race fans within easy driving distance of "Chicagoland" that there weren't more there.Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
I saw some empty seats but there were still alot of people in the stands .....Cookie Cutter cars, I agree
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Tim, I do not recall seeing any fan activity on the back at Daytona for a long time ? If not mistaken quite a bit of it does not even have stands.I am probablyt geezin. Regardless alot of this has to do with the economy. People are holding on to their wallets waiting for the next shoe to drop and there has been alot of shoes dropping in the last couple of years with more to come. Tim Leeming said:
Harvey, this is something I have been noticing all season. Daytona on July 3rd looked pretty good until you consider the back straight grandstands weren't even open. The economy seems to be front and center in all such conversations, but it must be more than that. We'll just have to wait. I was amazed, however, with the number of race fans within easy driving distance of "Chicagoland" that there weren't more there.
Tim
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
racers reunion has no problem drawing a crowd,wonder what their problem is
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Johnny Mallonee said:
racers reunion has no problem drawing a crowd,wonder what their problem is
Johnny, this one is free ....LOL ....
Brandon Reed
@brandon-reed
14 years ago
30 posts
Sure, there were people in the stands, but nothing like it used to be. I go along with the economy being partially to blame.But if that were completely the case, wouldn't it stand to reason that the tv ratings for the broadcast of these races would at least hold steady, if not increase? But that's not the case. They ratings are dropping like a rock.So, what's the problem?As I've said before, I honestly believe the problem is that the common thread that connected the race fans in the stands (and at home) with the drivers has been lost. What made the sport special and unique was the connection that the fans had with the drivers. It was the fact that they could talk to the drivers, approach them, get their autographs. NASCAR has succeeded in getting the fans completely out of the pits and away from the drivers. And the drivers, who are payed lots and lots of money to do lots and lots of things, don't have the time or the inclination to spend time with these drivers. Some actually make it part of the contest to be out and away from the race track as fast as they can be after a race.That means that the connection between the fan and the driver is gone. So what inclination is there to pay money to watch an overpaid rock star driver around for four hours and then blow off the people that essentially pay their bills?Guys like Richard Petty, Bobby Allison, Cale Yarborough, David Pearson and Buddy Baker understood this. They would sit for hours after the races, talking to fans and signing autographs. They established a bond that carried over not just from race to race but from year to year.Now, that bond is gone. Without it, why should the fans come out? To buy the latest Dale Earnhardt Jr. die cast car?If we don't get the fans in the stands back to where they know the guys in the cars, get autographs, and re-establish that connection, things will continue to go downhill.And it's happening at the short tracks, too. After seeing how NASCAR does it, many fans don't realize they are welcome to come into the pits after the races and meet the drivers. Even at this basic level, we've GOT to get the fans back down there and get them involved.If we don't, the unique aspect that this sport was truly built on will be lost forever. And when it goes, the racing soon will follow.If the stands are empty, what's the point in racing?
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
14 years ago
907 posts
N-CAR has just about killed the golden goose, the cash cow, the big kahoona. The "weak economy" is always thrown out as the sole reason for the empty seats, but that don't explain the steadily declining TV ratings. This past season, the NFL's TV numbers were in the stratosphere. Same economy.More and more the phrase around the water cooler is "I don't even watch it anymore.........." and it's the old-time loyalists taking this position. The grand gamble backfired. Big time. The marketer-based decision to woo the 18-34 (yuppie) year old crowd, at the expense of the traditional fan, was a move that had no safety-net. If the "new" fan's appeal was of the flash-in-the-pan variety, and the old fan was TICKED OFF, well, there was no way back. The bridge was burned.N-CAR, essentially, knows they've blown it They dangle mess like "boys have at it......." but, the problem is NOBODY cares anymore. It's all so hyped and controlled and reeks of political correctedness, that it's exactly like the society and culture at large, and who wants more of THAT for a pastime? Apparently, not many.So go N-CAR. Go to "Chicagoland" and "California", and somewhere in Canada and Mexico City and maybe back to Japan. Maybe you can buy some more time. Don't know if your product can be fixed. The passion of the traditional blue-collar middle-class American is gone. We begged and pleaded, for our sport back.......but "Chicagoland" was calling. In the old days, grandstand seats were not painted alternating colors, to LOOK like fans, the fans WERE there. They'd saved and skimped and slept on the hoods of cars and in make-shift school busses. And they LOVED it. But no more. Sad, a'int it?
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Brandon and Bobby both make very good points that are hard to discount. Nascar has homogenised the sport and indeed the romance is gone.If the fans have lost a connection with drivers I think they have also have lost it with the cars. The American love affair with the automobile is a large part of our culture but no longer can we relate to what is on the track as to what we drive.For sure the Golden Goose has been feathered and we can thanks the boys in Daytona Beach.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I agree with everyone...and if my memory serves me correctly, I believe that Chicagoland was one of the better drawing midwest tracks. I noticed maybe a 60% crowd??? Wait 'til Indy, empty stands you shall see. The real, loyal Nascar fan is gone.Pete
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
That's one reason I like going to the local races. Before the evenings first event they bring at least one division out one the front stretch and have an autogragh session with the fans. That makes the connection between the drivers and the fans.I know they can't do something like that in the Cup series, but they had better come up with something.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Are you saying that this spectacular show called R/R would not be s success if a nominal fee were charged?? Nascar is charging an enormous fee to go view their races whether it be short track or the ones where you watch with a telescope or just wait till they go by in that brief few seconds you have in front of you . I went to Daytona and set in a kinda expensive seat to watch the Bush cars run (some may know them by nationwide) and true I could see fairly well both ways --because it wasnt packed on either side of me -- but the cost of the ticket for two of us would have bought a season pass at most short tracks around us. Now nowhere down there did I get any information about the short tracks,next weeks race,what happened last race or even last year. Now true there was a program there that could be bought for the price of an outing to Out Back Steak House for two,which to buy, food or literature you are not sure of. Now you see my point,WHAT YOU SEE ON R/R or what you hear or read is gospel on here. So you see you are paying for this service by power,internet service,and your trusty computer. Two out of the three are not necessary but neither is B/S from Nascar
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
I do believe that Racers Reunion has a real fan in Johnny Mallonee. And further news is that Racers Reunion is a ral from of Johnny Mallonee. Funny how that works. I'm The Legend, and I approve this message althought I did NOT pay for it.Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
Hay i love this message i`ll bet Johnny payed for it
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
14 years ago
177 posts
I'll keep my comments short, but on a similar subject- if the reports are true, Bruton is gonna get his way and take a race from Atlanta after this year. And even though Bruton Smith has done a lot in the sport, I'm not afraid to stand up and say he is a disgrace to Nascar for what he has done to Atlanta. It started when he bought the track back in the early nineties, when he built the Tara Place condos outside of what was turn 2. Then he went and tried to build "Charlotte South" in 1997, never minding the fact he had just built the same facility in Texas. I guess if Bruton had his way, he would've made Bristol a half mile cookie cutter too. Wait- he still managed to screw that track up too, didn't he? All I am getting at is this: Atlanta International Raceway had personality in its original configuration. Look at the 1992 Hooters 500- to this day it as looked at as maybe the biggest single race in the sport's history! It had the season finale date! Yet, it wasn't good enough. So now we fast forward to 2010- Atlanta was overbuilt when Bruton screwed it up, so now he'd rather try to draw the same crowd he would get here in Las Vegas or Kentucky, whichever track actually gets our "date." Yes, there's a reason the spring Atlanta race didn't sell out. It's called bad weather- why do you think Richmond got moved out of the second week of the season? So now Atlanta has went from having the season finale, to a Chase date, to being the race that SHOULD be the Southern 500, to losing a race. Now someone tell me what the motivation is for a fan to come to Atlanta now, especially now that the soon to be 1 race will be a "meaningless" pre-Chase race?Nascar and Bruton can shove it as far as I am concerned. But if they're gonna screw us, at least do the right thing and flip flop us with the current Darlington date. Give those people the Southern 500 back!
Harvey Tollison
@harvey-tollison
14 years ago
226 posts
i agree , think first of our hertiage and fans
Rick Yarborough
@rick-yarborough
14 years ago
6 posts
Pete Chandoff hit the nail on the head when he stated the real, loyal Nascar fans are gone...
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
If Atlanta is going to be a meaningless pre chase race then the other 25 mean nothing as well ? The sport has become watered down big time and Bruton Smith is a disgrace.Losing the Southern 500 was a slap in the face and dropping Wilkesboro was just as bad, lets add the Rock. These three tracks were driver and fan favorites but money rules.Dont mess with Bruton with his infinite wisdom to roll North Wilkesboro for Loudon and now he is threatening to drop a loudon race. It was also very nice when he threatened to bulldoze Charlotte if they did not let him have a drag strip.Does Bruton the "Brutus" Smith live in Fort Knox ? Has to keep safe somehow.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Could this be the beginning of a new conglomerate ? A new racing series ? the rebirth of "Southern Racing Association"? Think now and dont let Past Visions jump into your heads. This could be the second coming of the Good Ole Short Track series of yesteryear.Like in the past there was a crunch that brought local folks closer together, not wanting to drive hundreds of miles to enjoy a nite of fun.Now certain people are moving show dates around or canceling dates here just to please the operation of another over there. Not naming names or places because it is happening all over but the greed over money is overtaking the need to have a relaxing evening at an outdoor event .Would a new laid back series facilitate the need for our sport ? Call it what you like--Vintage Racing--- Old Modifieds --- Sportsman class-- Run what ya Brung--- Names are a dime a dozen, putting the series together so it wont IMPLODE is another but within our organization there is knowledge beyond the realm of requirement to orchestrate such a plan and to police it so as it will be for the good of all instead of one. I only have to look at Bobby and Paul and you can see the desire is there to make it happen. Every time Bobby or Paul or even Ronda talk of their outings there is a stir among the listeners and readers to want to not just participate but to be involved in the fun and enjoyment of the sport . Not so? Set down and watch and listen.
RANDY GILBERT
@randy-gilbert
14 years ago
17 posts
HARVEY,DO YOU KEEP UP WITH BASKETBALL? IF YOU DO, YOU'LL NOTICE THAT THE COLLEGE GAMES ARE PRETTY GOOD WITH A LOT OF ACTION AND RUNNING AND EXCITEMENT..............GO TO THE PROS AND YOU WATCH A BUNCH OF MILLIONAIRES WALKING AROUND DRAWING A BIG PAY CHECK AND NOT PLAYING A GAME THAT WILL KEEP TOO MANY FANS AWAKE FOR VERY LONG....NOW COMES RACING..........YOUR LOCAL SHORT TRACKS KEEP YOU AWAKE....MOST OF THE CARS LOOK LIKE CARS AND THE DRIVERS DRIVE THEIR HEARTS OUT.....THEN A LUCKY DRIVER WILL GET A CHANCE TO GO TO THE PROS AND HE CAN'T BE EXCITING TO THE FANS AFTER HE GET THERE...........FIRST HE GETS PAID A BUNCH OF MONEY BECAUSE HE'S PRETTY AND CAN SPEAK WELL.........IF HE HAS ENOUGH OF HIS OWN MONEY AND GOOD LOOKS HE'LL GET TO THE TOP........AND HE'LL BE PUT INTO A COOKIE CUTTER CAR AND DRIVE WITH 42 COOKIE CUTTER DRIVERS THAT LOOK AND ACT JUST LIKE HIM....NOT MANY PRO DRIVERS....(NAPCAR.......YES, NAPCAR).........HAVE THEIR OWN PERSONALITY LIKE THE BOYS DID BACK IN THE 40's, 50's, 60's AND 70's.................I'M NOT KNOCKING THIS LOUD ROCK MUSIC............I GUESS IT HAS IT'S FANS, BUT NASCAR SEEMS TO HAVE EXPELLED GOOD OLE COUNTRY MUSIC FROM THE RACING SCENE IN FAVOR OF THIS YOUNGER GENERATION STUFF..........WELL I FOR ONE HAVE STARTED GOING BACK TO THE LOCAL DIRT TRACKS AND WATCHING RACING LIKE IT'S BEEN FOR OVER 60 YEARS.............GOOD OLE COUNTRY MUSIC, HARD DRIVING, BUTT KICKING, DIRT THROWING, KNOCK DOWN BUMPING AND REAL RACING....THESE DRIVERS MAY BE MISSING A TOOTH OR TWO AND NOT TOO PRETTY TO LOOK AT, BUT THEY CAN DRIVE A CAR AND THEY HAVE THEIR OWN PERSONALITY, NOT ONE THAT HAS BEEN FORCED ON THEM BY BIG MONEY AND THEY DRIVE A CAR THAT IN MOST CASES LOOK LIKE A CAR YOU SEE ON THE STREET..............THEY KNOW THAT THEY WILL NEVER GET TO THE TOP BECAUSE THE REAL RACERS AREN'T WANTED AT THE TOP (ONLY PRETTY RACERS) , BUT THEY KEEP TRYING AND PUTTING ON SHOWS THAT KEEP THE FANS COMING BACK.........YOU GO TO A NASCAR TRACK AND YOU FIGHT TRAFFIC, DRUNKS, LOUD MOUTHS, AND RUDE PEOPLE ALL DAY AND WHEN YOU GET TO YOUR SEAT IT'S SO SMALL THAT YOU SIT ALMOST ON YOUR NEIGHBOR'S LAP AND YOU WATCH A BUNCH OF OVER PAID PROFESSIONALS (MOSTLY MILLIONAIRES) CRANK 'UM UP AND GO OFF INTO THE 500 MILE CHASE..........THEN DROP TO THE REAR TO STAY OUT OF TROUBLE AND NOT RACE UNTIL THE LAST 10 OR SO LAPS..................WHAT KIND OF RACING IS THAT?....AND ON TOP OF THAT ON THE WAY HOME YOU REALIZE WHY YOU DIDN'T BRING YOUR FAMILY.................BECAUSE YOU WENT BROKE PAYING THE PARKING FEES, TICKET PRICES, SOUVENIER PRICES, FOOD AND DRINK PRICES AND THE FUEL YOU SPENT TO GET TO THE TRACK AND BACK........SO NEXT SATURDAY NIGHT YOU GO TO THE LOCAL DIRT TRACK TO WATCH A REAL RACE AND ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON WHILE THE "NAPCAR" RACE IS ON TV YOU ENJOY YOUR SUNDAY NAP..........SORRY I'M SO DOWN ON NASCAR, BUT I'VE WATCHED IT GO FROM A SPORT WITH EXCITEMENT TO A SPORT THAT IS SO BOORING THAT THE FUN IS GONE...........EVERY ASPECT IS COOKIE CUTTER.....AND I DON'T LIKE COOKIES..........I'D RATHER HAVE A HOT DOG AND APPLE PIE............THANKS FOR LISTENING TO ME GRIPE................THINK I'LL GO GET A NAP NOW....I'M GETTING TIRED JUST TALKING ABOUT IT........SEE YA, RANDY
Tony20Fan
@tony20fan
14 years ago
25 posts
You know, I understand why that could be happening. First off, the economy has a role to do with this to. They are all over NASCAR, in all the conversations going on. It's not about the distance that is why it was empty. People travel from Ontario, Canada to N.C. to see Lowes Motor Speedway LIVE. Every race still has a lot of fans, but some sections can be closed. Also, it could be full, just everyone could be at the trailer parks or getting food when the race is running. Keep in mind, at home there's commercials, when your at the race there's none. Do you know anyone that has sat through the entire race without getting out of their seat once?
Harvey Tollison
@harvey-tollison
14 years ago
226 posts
If they were half the empty seats at the concession somebody at Coke is getting rich, if the other half is at the restroom they need 60 inch sewer lines Tony20Fan said:
You know, I understand why that could be happening. First off, the economy has a role to do with this to. They are all over NASCAR, in all the conversations going on. It's not about the distance that is why it was empty. People travel from Ontario, Canada to N.C. to see Lowes Motor Speedway LIVE. Every race still has a lot of fans, but some sections can be closed. Also, it could be full, just everyone could be at the trailer parks or getting food when the race is running. Keep in mind, at home there's commercials, when your at the race there's none. Do you know anyone that has sat through the entire race without getting out of their seat once?
Harvey Tollison
@harvey-tollison
14 years ago
226 posts
Even though Water Newman one of the late model buiders is a life long friend , I still like the lower classes and stock bodies.Come to Gordon Park and Modoc Speedway with anytime. RANDY GILBERT said:
HARVEY,
DO YOU KEEP UP WITH BASKETBALL? IF YOU DO, YOU'LL NOTICE THAT THE COLLEGE GAMES ARE PRETTY GOOD WITH A LOT OF ACTION AND RUNNING AND EXCITEMENT..............GO TO THE PROS AND YOU WATCH A BUNCH OF MILLIONAIRES WALKING AROUND DRAWING A BIG PAY CHECK AND NOT PLAYING A GAME THAT WILL KEEP TOO MANY FANS AWAKE FOR VERY LONG....NOW COMES RACING..........YOUR LOCAL SHORT TRACKS KEEP YOU AWAKE....MOST OF THE CARS LOOK LIKE CARS AND THE DRIVERS DRIVE THEIR HEARTS OUT.....THEN A LUCKY DRIVER WILL GET A CHANCE TO GO TO THE PROS AND HE CAN'T BE EXCITING TO THE FANS AFTER HE GET THERE...........FIRST HE GETS PAID A BUNCH OF MONEY BECAUSE HE'S PRETTY AND CAN SPEAK WELL.........IF HE HAS ENOUGH OF HIS OWN MONEY AND GOOD LOOKS HE'LL GET TO THE TOP........AND HE'LL BE PUT INTO A COOKIE CUTTER CAR AND DRIVE WITH 42 COOKIE CUTTER DRIVERS THAT LOOK AND ACT JUST LIKE HIM....NOT MANY PRO DRIVERS....(NAPCAR.......YES, NAPCAR).........HAVE THEIR OWN PERSONALITY LIKE THE BOYS DID BACK IN THE 40's, 50's, 60's AND 70's.................I'M NOT KNOCKING THIS LOUD ROCK MUSIC............I GUESS IT HAS IT'S FANS, BUT NASCAR SEEMS TO HAVE EXPELLED GOOD OLE COUNTRY MUSIC FROM THE RACING SCENE IN FAVOR OF THIS YOUNGER GENERATION STUFF..........WELL I FOR ONE HAVE STARTED GOING BACK TO THE LOCAL DIRT TRACKS AND WATCHING RACING LIKE IT'S BEEN FOR OVER 60 YEARS.............GOOD OLE COUNTRY MUSIC, HARD DRIVING, BUTT KICKING, DIRT THROWING, KNOCK DOWN BUMPING AND REAL RACING....THESE DRIVERS MAY BE MISSING A TOOTH OR TWO AND NOT TOO PRETTY TO LOOK AT, BUT THEY CAN DRIVE A CAR AND THEY HAVE THEIR OWN PERSONALITY, NOT ONE THAT HAS BEEN FORCED ON THEM BY BIG MONEY AND THEY DRIVE A CAR THAT IN MOST CASES LOOK LIKE A CAR YOU SEE ON THE STREET..............THEY KNOW THAT THEY WILL NEVER GET TO THE TOP BECAUSE THE REAL RACERS AREN'T WANTED AT THE TOP (ONLY PRETTY RACERS) , BUT THEY KEEP TRYING AND PUTTING ON SHOWS THAT KEEP THE FANS COMING BACK.........YOU GO TO A NASCAR TRACK AND YOU FIGHT TRAFFIC, DRUNKS, LOUD MOUTHS, AND RUDE PEOPLE ALL DAY AND WHEN YOU GET TO YOUR SEAT IT'S SO SMALL THAT YOU SIT ALMOST ON YOUR NEIGHBOR'S LAP AND YOU WATCH A BUNCH OF OVER PAID PROFESSIONALS (MOSTLY MILLIONAIRES) CRANK 'UM UP AND GO OFF INTO THE 500 MILE CHASE..........THEN DROP TO THE REAR TO STAY OUT OF TROUBLE AND NOT RACE UNTIL THE LAST 10 OR SO LAPS..................WHAT KIND OF RACING IS THAT?....AND ON TOP OF THAT ON THE WAY HOME YOU REALIZE WHY YOU DIDN'T BRING YOUR FAMILY.................BECAUSE YOU WENT BROKE PAYING THE PARKING FEES, TICKET PRICES, SOUVENIER PRICES, FOOD AND DRINK PRICES AND THE FUEL YOU SPENT TO GET TO THE TRACK AND BACK........SO NEXT SATURDAY NIGHT YOU GO TO THE LOCAL DIRT TRACK TO WATCH A REAL RACE AND ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON WHILE THE "NAPCAR" RACE IS ON TV YOU ENJOY YOUR SUNDAY NAP..........SORRY I'M SO DOWN ON NASCAR, BUT I'VE WATCHED IT GO FROM A SPORT WITH EXCITEMENT TO A SPORT THAT IS SO BOORING THAT THE FUN IS GONE...........EVERY ASPECT IS COOKIE CUTTER.....AND I DON'T LIKE COOKIES..........I'D RATHER HAVE A HOT DOG AND APPLE PIE............THANKS FOR LISTENING TO ME GRIPE................THINK I'LL GO GET A NAP NOW....I'M GETTING TIRED JUST TALKING ABOUT IT........SEE YA, RANDY
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts
I think that the bad economy is part of the problem, when it costs a small fortune to go to the races, especially now when most people are really hurting or out of work.Plus these so-called stock cars of today have absolutely nothing in common with what they are supposed to be.Ever see a Fusion or a Charger that looks like the ones on the race track?I never have.In the 60-70's the fans could tell what the car was just by looking at it.They need to go back to using stock sheet metal for starters.Many people just can't relate to what's out there today.Todays race drivers have to be 80% slick-talking politician, 10% male model, and 10% driver.That doesn't help either.Racing in general needs to turn the clock back about 30 years.