Jr SUCKS!

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
What is the problem with the #88 team? I'm not a fan but wonder where the problem is. What are your thoughts?
updated by @bumpertag: 09/24/18 05:11:22AM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
There are multiple issues here, B.T. in my humble opinion. I like Junior, I certainly know he comes from good stock having watched his grandfather and his father drive, but I sincerely believe if his last name wasn't Earnhardt, he wouldn't have a ride. Going further, and this sounds cruel although not intended as such, if Dale, Sr. had not been killed at Daytona and his fans migrating to Junior, it is doubtful he could keep a sponsor happy. Yeah, I know this is going to start a war, but it's the way I feel. Again, I reiterate, I respect Junior, I like Junior and he is a fine team owner.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
The desire is not there now. I dont think he has the say so he wants in his ride and I truly think he misses his own team as he had with DEI . He had family and friends around him close friends,the kind that handled problems. Now Kelley is not running his show and tony jr and senior are not there steering things -----those are things that make or break a driver---- team ---- or organization
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I'm not a Earnhardt fan but he is really struggling with this team. Maybe the move wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But Hendrick gets what he wants, everyone knows that.
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
Now if Knaus was with Jr instead of Lance McGrew (We're'd he come from anyway??) Then they might could go somewhere. If all the cars are supposedly the same, then why are Gordon and Johnson great, and Jr and Martin are really struggling? Because Jeff and Jimmie's cars are built in one seperate shop away from Martin/Jr.I do agree Tim that its all in the name. Right now, I know he has ALOT of stress, because of these diehard Sr. fans that migrated to Jr and expects him to do everything Sr. done. You can't make a racecar driver out of one person!!-Cody
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
14 years ago
835 posts
You may have something there Johnny, It may not be as much fun for him as it used to be, more like just a job now. I noticed a change in the public Jr. as soon as the announcement of the big move was made. His interviews became predictable, no more saying just what was on his mind, all his comments measured and thought out. He may not be as good as Sr. but who was. Still he has already proved he can win. I think it shows how incredibly hard it is to win these days. Once someone wins on a regular basis and then goes without winning we all start to ask whats wrong. That's what everyone was asking this past weekend about the 48 team and they have 5 wins this season. When the good teams win regularly they make it look easy but it is not. For every way that you can find to win a race there are a hundred ways to loose it. Johnny Mallonee said:
The desire is not there now. I dont think he has the say so he wants in his ride and I truly think he misses his own team as he had with DEI . He had family and friends around him close friends,the kind that handled problems. Now Kelley is not running his show and tony jr and senior are not there steering things -----those are things that make or break a driver---- team ---- or organization
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
14 years ago
488 posts
I think Jr. just wants the reporters to leave him alone. It ain't the first time a driver spoke his mind on national TV. I liked what he said, it made him more human than the talking wax figures in the booth or the drivers that say "all the right things" according to check writers. I also respect Ryan Newman and Denny Hamlin for speaking their minds, even at the tune of 5 figures. I'm not condoning foul language on TV but, hey, what do you expect Jr. to say when asked "So how do you feel...?" I think he felt like crap and wore it on his sleeve. He had a bad day.
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
14 years ago
181 posts
Personally, I think Jr. is an O.K. guy............but I don't think he fits in well with Hendrick Motorsports. That just doesn't seem to be a culture that he can thrive in. I was a huge Dale Earnhardt fan and Jr. seemed to be progressing while under his tutelage, but after we lost Dale, Sr., and Kelley started running Jr.'s business, I believe some decisions were made which weren't necessarily in Jr.'s best interest. I never did agree with those two's demands that Teresa turn DEI over to them. Dale & Teresa Earnhardt built that business and Dale, Sr. always gave her the credit for being the business brains of the company. I think Jr./Kelley's behaviour & attitude was nothing less than pure greed. Beyond that, I don't think Ralph & Dale Earnhardt passed on the talent level & competitiveness to the next generation. I have to agree that if his last name weren't Earnhardt, he probably would not even be on the race track.
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
It is the curse of the Hendrick # 25 car which became to 88The crew chief has quite alot to do with a drivers success even more so now.These cars have to be nearly perfect to win with. If you are off you are way off. The driver does not have as much input into the car or it's set up opposed to years ago. Cale and others were masters at working the car and with setting it up.This is not so much about Jr and I may be wrong but it does not look like that many or any drivers work on the car. They have team meetings, go the track track and take off. I can be wrong all day but do the current drivers have real chassis knowledge or know how to build a car ?NASCAR's dream machine has taken all the fun out of it.
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
Many great points here. I don't think McGrew deserves the blame here and I don't think the quality of the equipment is an issue. In my opinion Jr has the desire. I look at his disappointment each week and see a man who is agonizing over his poor performance. It hasn't been that many years ago Jr was a treat on many tracks, now he's just a "Field Filler". What happened? First the loss of Dale Sr. The COT, different fill and balance. Tighter competition. The revolving door for his crew chiefs. His inability to grow up for a few years. Too busy focusing on outside bussiness. His refusal to adapt to the new set ups. And lastly, he's a little short on talent. I've told people that if he doesn't take advantage of this oppertunity with Hendrinks and make something of himself, I see doom and gloom in his future. With all the presure on him I'm afraid he will turn to drugs or suicide to escape the presure.I think he needs to step out of the car and be a owner, maybe race a handful of races a year to please the fans and slowly reduce the number of his races till he won't be missed. He is a stronge voice in NASCAR and can be more effective outside the car. I think he will be happier and the pressure would be much less.
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Bumpertag said:
Many great points here. I don't think McGrew deserves the blame here and I don't think the quality of the equipment is an issue. In my opinion Jr has the desire. I look at his disappointment each week and see a man who is agonizing over his poor performance. It hasn't been that many years ago Jr was a treat on many tracks, now he's just a "Field Filler". What happened? First the loss of Dale Sr. The COT, different fill and balance. Tighter competition. The revolving door for his crew chiefs. His inability to grow up for a few years. Too busy focusing on outside bussiness. His refusal to adapt to the new set ups. And lastly, he's a little short on talent. I've told people that if he doesn't take advantage of this oppertunity with Hendrinks and make something of himself, I see doom and gloom in his future. With all the presure on him I'm afraid he will turn to drugs or suicide to escape the presure.
I think he needs to step out of the car and be a owner, maybe race a handful of races a year to please the fans and slowly reduce the number of his races till he won't be missed. He is a stronge voice in NASCAR and can be more effective outside the car. I think he will be happier and the pressure would be much less.
Bumper, can I have some of the meds that you are taking ....LOL
bob williams
@bob-williams
14 years ago
7 posts
Jr. may have the desire, but I don't think he has the fire. He had the misfortune to get thrown into the ring before he had a chance to learn the ropes. Look at Kyle Petty and Davey Allison. Richard rented Daytona for a couple of weeks and put Kyle in a top cup car and he won the ARCA race and thought he was a driver. He never did really become one. When Davey wanted to race, Bobby gave him an old Nova that was a piece of junk, and Davey and a buddy,was his name Bingo Long? Anyway, they took that ole clunker to places like B'ham, Mobile, P'cola, and Jackson,Ms.( the first track Bobby and Davey raced together on), and Davey learned to race. He would have rewritten the recordbook had he lived.What does Jr. do on days when NASCAR is not racing? Hang with his buddys and drink beer? Tony Stewart,Kasey Kane,Kyle Busch and others are racing somewhere on their off days. If Jr. does'nt have the fire,I don't know how to get it. You don't necessarily inherit it (look at Kinser father and son), you can't buy it and NASCAR can't legislate it, as much as they try. Mabey Jr. should get him a short track car and start over.
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
After the death of Sr and his success at DEI starting began to slow. Robbie Solesbee said:
...and this revalation came to light when????.....
Mike Smith
@mike-smith
14 years ago
4 posts
Afternoon everyone, I would like to comment on this subject. I do not believe Junior can drive. I watched him several years ago at Martinsville in a late model race, he could not make the field, he had to buy a ride. If his name was not Earnhardt he would not be in a race car. Ihave heard several times that when all the kids were driving late models that Kelly was the best driver of the bunch. Reminds me of Kyle Petty in more than one way.
bob williams
@bob-williams
14 years ago
7 posts
Which rerevelation are we talking about ? I said a lot of stuff in that discouse, none of which was written in stone. I was just discussing ,and what do I know about the Jr. problem? It's pretty complicated. Back when I raced the driver was the greatest part of the equasion. Now you've got to have the whole package to get the job done. Driver,car,crew chief,pit crew, and a little luck and you might win a race. This one thing I know; it was a lot more fun when I was doing it even through most of the time I was broke.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
14 years ago
907 posts
There's really nothing (more) that can be said of this situation. It's been analyzed more than the Grassy Knoll. It is, what it is. If Rick Hendrick, NASCAR, GM, Budwieser, Pepsico, and the National Guard, can't change it.........Maybe the step-mom knew more than folks thought.
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
Well put. I hate to see him perform so badly because I can see what it's doing to him. At this point I don't know what needs to happen to help the entire team. But I do think the majority of the problem is behind the wheel. Bobby Williamson said:
There's really nothing (more) that can be said of this situation. It's been analyzed more than the Grassy Knoll. It is, what it is. If Rick Hendrick, NASCAR, GM, Budwieser, Pepsico, and the National Guard, can't change it.........Maybe the step-mom knew more than folks thought.
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Jr has won 18 Cup races so he can get it done but it is what it is. I like the Grassy Knoll comparision.I like Bob's perspective of how it has changed. "The complete package".
Toddy   bray   baxter
@toddy-bray-baxter
14 years ago
4 posts
its not the car its the driver,never had it never will, what races hes won hes had help from nascar he needs to be back in the nationwide series thats the only place he can win at sorry
Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
14 years ago
209 posts
If not for that last cautin flag last night Jr. just may have won that race. He can drive a race car. He came on strong after a bad start put him a lap down. He has the desire. Something is just not clicking with the Cup team. Wish I knew what. I could make some BIG $$$$$$$$'s if I did.It took a few laps for his car to come in and there were just not enough laps left to contend for the win. He did good though.
Ron Wetzler
@ron-wetzler
14 years ago
3 posts
He ought to stay home and play in his western town he built behind his house . Who is the next crew chief to get the blame. I find it amazing how well Martin did last with Jrs crew chief and how bad Mark is doing this year without him. Put a Tony Stewart or if his dad was still with us (RIP) and watch the 88 turn on.