Do you know the meaning of being Humilated in public

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Today in front a few thousand fans and tv to boot when Chad made the call to substitute the 48 team with those Rainbow warriors You can only imagine how those guys felt.Doing it in between races is one thing but in front of their fans only shows the lack of true comradeship of the team. True its a job but its also team effort and to me the true spirit was lost today--------------------------Or do you have other thoughts
updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
Johnny, it is quite a shock to hear what some have said. I agree with your thoughts of this. Ann expressed it very well too when she said how much that must have hurt the 48 guys. Sort of like if Jeff Gilder ever replaces the Legend with The Master I'm going to be deeply hurt! Or has he done what already??????

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

replacing me would be like loosing the court jester---but replacing you would be like loosing the catcher--you can still play ball but now you have to throw it so as it can always be hit for fear of it rolling away
Tim Leeming said:
Johnny, it is quite a shock to hear what some have said. I agree with your thoughts of this. Ann expressed it very well too when she said how much that must have hurt the 48 guys. Sort of like if Jeff Gilder ever replaces the Legend with The Master I'm going to be deeply hurt! Or has he done what already??????
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
14 years ago
181 posts
There were several things that happened in today's race which fall into the questionable category. The firing of the #48 pit crew during the race is something I've never seen happen before & I believe it has the potential to demoralize that crew with two races to go in the season. I don't know specifically what the problems were today, but Johnson finished 9th & I doubt if he would have done much worse if that change had not occurred. In my opinion, that pit crew change certainly detracts from the character of the team and has the potential to do much more harm than good. In fact, I believe NASCAR should consider instituting a rule preventing that from happening.The other occurrance which I find very questionable involved Kyle Busch. Although there wasn't good quality replay video available, the announcers implied that he was spun by Aric Almirola. The first thing that crossed my mind was that if this was possible payback for Busch beating Almirola last week in the truck series in a manner in which Almirola didn't think was legal.............although NASCAR didn't see it that way and, frankly, I didn't see it that way either. Then, when he went to the pits for a tire change, NASCAR penalized him a lap for speeding on pit road as he was trying to beat the pace car back out. That's pretty cut & dry as they have speed devices clocking the speeds, but when he came back in to serve the penalty & get two more tires, he signaled to the NASCAR official that he was #1 in his book with the 1-finger salute............NASCAR promptly penalized him 2 more laps. In the first place, that is a severe penalty. Secondly, I have witnessed many drivers using the 1-finger salute many, many times during the heat of a race, and I have never seen a 2-lap penalty for that. There have been lesser penalties for far more dangerous things. This is one of those situations where the penalty doesn't fit the crime & one of which NASCAR has already received much criticizm for. It seems as if NASCAR has it's favorites & it's non-favorites. I don't believe that call would have been made against certain other drivers. Frankly, if I were Kyle Busch, I would be mad as hell.........not only at NASCAR, but Almirola as well.
The other occurance was the Gordon/Burton incident............and I'm really not quite sure what to make of that. Burton took full responsibility for causing it, but they are two of the last drivers I would have expected to see going at it trackside ala Cale Yarbrough/Donnie & Bobby Allison. That was a real surprise.
As much as I disagree with the "Chase" format, at least it's coming down to a close finish............and I was happy to see Hamlin win. I only wish Harvick had been 2nd.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

Robbie I do not see the reasoning behind what happened today with the #48 The Rainbow Worriers were brought up to the Lowes car I think to show chads power in the high chair. he had been having issues I hear with the communication he had with the crew and I guess doing this in public showed his true color.My point of view but as you know every one has a point of view of some sort .
Robbie Solesbee said:
In Formula One one pit crew sevices both cars. But what you are describing sounds simular to team orders in F1 of having the secondary team car allow the primary team to pass in order to allow the primary driver to win. At Interlagos today a law in Brazil outlawing the interfering with the outcome of a sporting event, better known to us as "fixing", is a crime that carries time in Brazil.
Team Red Bull's secondary driver Sebastian Vettel won the race while primary driver Mark Webber took second. Fernando Alonso leads the points by a scant margin over Webber and took third While the finishing order won the constructors championship, which pays in the tens of millions and actually is worth more than the driver's championship, for Red Bull, in days of old Vettel would have been ordered to allow Webber to pass so he could gain more points on Alonso for the title. It's set up an interesting scenario for the series finale in Abu Dhabi. Given the strict penalties under Sharia law I wonder what the criminal penalty for fixing a race there is? When there's big money on line, which after what I learned today what a NASCAR title pays is chump change compared to F1, coming down to the wire the top dog on the team is going to get the best of everything to win the title even if that means moving a crew in mid race. But the bottom line is if I'm a crew member working for a race team and Rick Hendrick is the one who signs my check, My allegiance is to Hendrick and not Gordon, Johnson, or Martin. It's the same as football. You still get the same pay if the coach benches you for the rest of the game and let's your sub play as you would if you played the whole game.
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
14 years ago
53 posts
All that happened today is that the world got to see what type of person Chad Knaus is. He showed how much of a team player he is. He is all about me. He has always been the one reason why I never liked the Lowes team winning. All I know is what I saw in Jimmies interview was a disturbed look on his face. I think he felt the same way as many other people did. What happened today is what Nascar has become. I feel for that pit crew and I know their morale took a hit. But Chad will get his one day. I just hope I can see it.
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
14 years ago
181 posts
I didn't even think about the corporate viewpoint..........I was just thinking about the morale-killing aspect of that decision. I think Lowe's pays that team a lot of money for the advertising - instead of all the Lowe's logos around that car, now you have a bunch of DuPont logos there. It seems to me that DuPont owes Lowe's some of their advertising dollars.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
At least we now know what's really important to "the Chad". It's all about the people and winning and losing as a team was thrown out the window yesterday. I felt so bad for the 48 over the wall crew yesterday; it had to crush their spirit. Just hope this comes back to bite Knaus in the butt.
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Indeed knowing how to lose is just as important as knowing how to win. Today Chad learned how to lose, "The Hard Way".
Tommy Buxton
@tommy-buxton
14 years ago
53 posts

I agree with Robbie on this one,I believe all their checks have Rick Hendricks name at the bottom.I sure don't feel sorry for them, they are all big boys wearing big boy pants.If they are not getting it done then its time for someone that can.I will be willing to bet you that the 48 team is already back to work to get the ship righted.That champions title belongs to the 48 team,I think they will do whatever it takes to keep it at Hendricks Motorsports.They still have 2 races to go,the 48 & 11 run good at both,the 29 is still right there,what more could you ask for.Maybe Chad needed to get their attention,they are running for the Roses,it's the bottom of the ninth in game 7 of the Wolrd Series,it's 4th and long inside of 2 minutes in the Super Bowl,we finally have a Chase worth getting excited about and folks want to feel sorry for somebody not getting the job done.Well,I'm excited,cinch up those belts and lets race!
Johnny Mallonee said:

Robbie I do not see the reasoning behind what happened today with the #48 The Rainbow Worriers were brought up to the Lowes car I think to show chads power in the high chair. he had been having issues I hear with the communication he had with the crew and I guess doing this in public showed his true color.My point of view but as you know every one has a point of view of some sort .
Robbie Solesbee said:
In Formula One one pit crew sevices both cars. But what you are describing sounds simular to team orders in F1 of having the secondary team car allow the primary team to pass in order to allow the primary driver to win. At Interlagos today a law in Brazil outlawing the interfering with the outcome of a sporting event, better known to us as "fixing", is a crime that carries time in Brazil.
Team Red Bull's secondary driver Sebastian Vettel won the race while primary driver Mark Webber took second. Fernando Alonso leads the points by a scant margin over Webber and took third While the finishing order won the constructors championship, which pays in the tens of millions and actually is worth more than the driver's championship, for Red Bull, in days of old Vettel would have been ordered to allow Webber to pass so he could gain more points on Alonso for the title. It's set up an interesting scenario for the series finale in Abu Dhabi. Given the strict penalties under Sharia law I wonder what the criminal penalty for fixing a race there is? When there's big money on line, which after what I learned today what a NASCAR title pays is chump change compared to F1, coming down to the wire the top dog on the team is going to get the best of everything to win the title even if that means moving a crew in mid race. But the bottom line is if I'm a crew member working for a race team and Rick Hendrick is the one who signs my check, My allegiance is to Hendrick and not Gordon, Johnson, or Martin. It's the same as football. You still get the same pay if the coach benches you for the rest of the game and let's your sub play as you would if you played the whole game.
Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
14 years ago
209 posts
Just my two (2) cents worth on this. I do not want to see JJ win his 5th championship. Especially 5 in a row. But, after several repeat mistakes made by the Lowe's pit crew that caused JJ several positions on the race track, what else was Chad to do. A quote byJJ after the race was, "In any other sport if one is not performing as they should a substitution is made." This has been done before except to my knowledge not during a race. Richard Childress did it. Gibbs did it. Several have done it. It just boils down to performance. Rick Hendrick signs the pay checks. If it's OK with him then so be it. I'm sure that this has taken the wind out of their sails but, these are professional athletes. They should just suck it up and practice, practice, practice until they are doing their best with no mistakes. The front tire changer on the 48 probably should be benched for the rest of the season and then he should practice to do it right especially under the pressure that must have been on all of the crew. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Give the guys a chance. But, Gooo Harvick. Beat both of them.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Ok now look at this side of it---Who got Chad those other 4 Championships? The rainbow warriors? Dont think so!! Those guys that practice daily to maintain their goal of winning did. True setting in the throne above them has its merits . But it was a team effort, why take the glory away at the end. The position on the track did not change due to the quicker pitstops.
'
Sorry but I dont see it as nothing but a team effort,bust the team up and what do you get, second fiddle at best. I guess im just an old school player where racing is supposed to be fun,not an ulcer ridden job.
Its like when I grew up it was a brotherhood,kinda like a family. we argued ,maybe scuffeled a little but you know what we did not have no one setting in a high chair whining at us ....oh for the old days------------------------------memories
Tommy Buxton
@tommy-buxton
14 years ago
53 posts

Johnny,at the Saturday night level I would be totally with you on this,but they play a totally different game with alot more at stake. Those guys on that team are not the same ones that won the first of those 4 championships either. Some are but they have made some changes over the last 4 years,that's just the nature of the beast.I don't ever recall anybody paying me after a saturday night race,that was all done for fun and the love of racing.These boys all get paid to get the job done and I would think the bonus checks have been pretty good the last 4 years on the 48 crew,yep, I keep thinking of thinks to make me not feel sorry for them. Would I like to get benched if I were on that team, heck no,would it make me feel sorry for my teammates,heck no again, it would get me fired up deep down in my belly and make me work that much harder to prove I could get it done!
Johnny Mallonee said:
Ok now look at this side of it---Who got Chad those other 4 Championships? The rainbow warriors? Dont think so!! Those guys that practice daily to maintain their goal of winning did. True setting in the throne above them has its merits . But it was a team effort, why take the glory away at the end. The position on the track did not change due to the quicker pitstops.
'
Sorry but I dont see it as nothing but a team effort,bust the team up and what do you get, second fiddle at best. I guess im just an old school player where racing is supposed to be fun,not an ulcer ridden job.
Its like when I grew up it was a brotherhood,kinda like a family. we argued ,maybe scuffeled a little but you know what we did not have no one setting in a high chair whining at us ....oh for the old days------------------------------memories
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
NASCAR is a team sport. As with any other team sport, if one team member is having an off day you bring in a sub for that one position. This would be like switching your whole offensive line for one players problem.Or like switching your whole infield for one players problem.I guess if Jimmy is having a bad day Chad will switch him out too.Looks to me that Chad did more harm than good on this move.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

i like this answer it pretty much sums it up
Russell Rector said:
NASCAR is a team sport. As with any other team sport, if one team member is having an off day you bring in a sub for that one position. This would be like switching your whole offensive line for one players problem.Or like switching your whole infield for one players problem.I guess if Jimmy is having a bad day Chad will switch him out too.Looks to me that Chad did more harm than good on this move.
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
What Chad did yesterday is a reflection of today's Nascar.These guys have been on top for soo long that losing is not an option but Chad did not see or want to see the reality that losing is going to happen sooner or later.In defense of Chad he holds his team and himself to a high standard that has resulted in 4 consecutive titles but he would have been better served to give the boys a tongue lashing at the shop on Monday.For the first time in several years we have seen a chink in the armor. We will see how the 48 team react's in the next two weeks and more importantly we will see what the future holds for one of Nacsar's great teams.
Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
14 years ago
308 posts
Politics and money.... Toyota has sent a truck load of money to Daytona in the last year so I do not think what Chad done sunday will even be remembered in acouple of weeks. As a few of us has said all along watch out for the China money they will have a championship this year. I will still pull for the underdog as always.
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
14 years ago
53 posts
To add to what I previously posted. I dont see any problem with making changes in between races but doing it during the middle of the race is pretty lame. Maybe they should have asked Dale Jr.'s pit crew. He hasnt done anything all year so they should be well rested. I'm sorry just a joke but had to say it.
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
I believe that we've had more input on this discussion than any other one I can remember.That is great!!! Keep it up everyone . The more ideas from everyone,the better! That what this discussion page is all about.
Tommy Buxton
@tommy-buxton
14 years ago
53 posts
Whether you agree with the decision or not,I think it took alot of guts to do what they did.I applaud them for doing something rather than nothing to try and do whatever it takes to keep the Championship at Hendrick Motorsports.According to an article on Jayski.com they intend to stay with the changes for the last 2 races. The 24 and 48 are both raced out of the same shop so I would think that they share most all of their resources whatever that may be.They have been and will be criticized by many for the decision.I will be happy for which ever 1 of the 3 wins the championship,because they will have most definitly earned it. Watching this sure beats somebody running away with it and it being decided 2,3,4 races early.On a side note, does anybody believe Kyle was sincere in his appology or was there some influence in his words from Coach Gibbs? I think the 25k fine was insult to injury considering he lost alot more than that with the 2 lap penalty being held on pit road. Kyle sure was not looking out for his teammates with that boneheaded tempermental gesture. He had to know the powers that be would not tolerate such.He may be a whiz with the steering wheel but until he gets the temper and attitude reined in a little,he will have a very difficult time becoming a Cup Series Champion.

Russell Rector said:
I believe that we've had more input on this discussion than any other one I can remember.That is great!!! Keep it up everyone . The more ideas from everyone,the better! That what this discussion page is all about.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
We shall see if the marriage of Lowes and Dupont produces the results it seems that Chad requires to set on his box. 10 little indians running around two little cars,should be a show at least., Maybe a little Fed Ex mixed with some Shell oil will seal the deal. What ya think about that???
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
hey wally remember back in the day when you pulled up to the line readying that lil ole horse you was riding for a short run?? remember you had one or two close henchmen with you. Ever cross your mind what would happen if you were on the line ready and a thought crossed your mind is everything right for this run? With your chosen ones you were confident on the line---BUT what if you had a new bunch,would you still be as relaxed? Sunday will tell the tale but I did read where there were concerns with Lowes as to whats up with Chad..
Slim_Shady
@slim-shady
14 years ago
26 posts
maybe the Lowes boys should'a done their job to begin with ?