If you could race against someone who would that someone be?

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
13 years ago
488 posts

Race fans, ALL race fans have a secret desire to race a car, you don't have to be a driver to have that desire, it's a race fan's makeup.

The question to you is, if you could race against one other person, head to head, who would that person be and WHY? - Remember, we are all drivers at heart.

updated by @jim-wilmore: 08/06/18 09:48:52PM
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
13 years ago
488 posts

I would like to race against my son, age 17, because he is the one that listens to my ranting and raving about racing, he's the reason I bought a vintage modified after he decided to quit go-kart racing and I used the money from the sale of the kart to buy a vintage modified. He is the one that stands toe to toe with me and challenges my authority with respect and honor. To honor him I'd love to get the chance to whip his tail on the race track to show him who's boss on and off the track. LOL.

Josh Bolden
@josh-bolden
13 years ago
1 posts

I would love to try to run against A.J. Foyt. I know I would never beat him in a race, but just to say I raced A.J. would be enough

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts

i would like to race with the late tim richmond and late dale earnhardt .

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
13 years ago
363 posts
Tim Richmond for me at Pocono or Riverside. What a joy it would be to watch him walk up to his car with that big grin. Take that car and show his magic. That man had swagger, talent and a he loved life.
Max Plummer
@max-plummer
13 years ago
89 posts

Rich Vogler @ Bristol in a sprint car.Even thinking that make's me shake.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts

I see all yall tip-toed around venuring on the track with Smoke.../.. He would be one to get on the track one on one on a dirt track---say Sumter or golden isles speedway---either place would be a wide open event to the end. I picked a person of present statute because I had the pleasure of bumping fenders with Dale Senior and even Tiny. I suppose the greatest thrill I had though was a continuing battle with the One and only ---The great " Legend " aka Tim Leeming.... You cant ask for anything more!!!!!

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts

Lloyd Seay at Lakewood.

Tommy Buxton
@tommy-buxton
13 years ago
53 posts

I would love to race my dad in a stock car and Richie Evans in a modified and Kyle Busch in a demo derby!

William Horrell
@william-horrell
13 years ago
175 posts

Hands down it would be Sam Ard at either Martinsville or Hickory...Beat Sam Ard in a stock car and you would have performed a near miracle.

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
13 years ago
360 posts

Norm Benning cuz he's the only one I could keep up with.

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
13 years ago
242 posts

I have raced against Lee Petty, Buck Baker, Fireball Roberts, Curtis Turner, Joe Weatherly and many more ( they all beat the hell out of me),and I didn't realize at that time just how much of a privaledge it was to have done this.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

Gonna be hard to match that, Mr. Streeter!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

The silver fox for me! And I still haven't given up on that dream...lol.

--
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
13 years ago
242 posts

The only talent I've had is living longer than most.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

I would have said Ray Hendrick, but I was in a heat race in 1973 in Fayetteville, NC at Cumberland County asphalt track with Ray. I wasdriving our Wilson dirt car after it rained out in Wilson. Can you get lapped 10 times in a ten lap heat? I think I was. Always been a dream to bang against Curtis & Little Joe on dirt, preferably at the Wilson dirt track that Joe & Paul Sawyer co-promoted..

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Used to watch James in modifieds when I was in college and would go to the Sanford, NC dirt track in the spring. He and Glenn McDuffie in Late Models were the kings while their brothers were off on the GN circuit. That was the first place I ever saw a converted school bus used for a hauler.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts

I remember that James never let off the throttle for long. If he was not wide open he was patting the gas as fast as he could until it was full bore down the straight.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts

you had him close in columbia --even had hm in his car hot lapping a flathead---while you sat in your ride---waiting----------------------------------------------------for the battery to recharge HA HA HA

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts

Sam Ard. The toughest, most determined driver I've ever seen.

Wayne Wilson
@wayne-wilson
13 years ago
39 posts

It would have to be Tiny Lund or Ralph Earnhardt at the Old Columbia Speedway. I would be satified just to sit in the stands and watch them make laps again.

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
13 years ago
209 posts

I have raced against some of the best. Curtis Turner, Cale Yarborough, LeRoy Y., Bill Elliott, Bobby Allison, Donnie, Red, Neil, Pearson, Tiger Tom, Tiny Lund, Pete Hamilton....etc., etc. Too many more to mention. But if I had one more chance it would be on the paved half mile Middle Georgia Raceway against Johnny Mallonee and Tim Leeming. I believe that I could take them for maybe three (3) laps. That's all I would be good for.

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
13 years ago
514 posts
For me it would be Richie Evans, Richard Petty, and Dale Earnhardt Sr.....in my personal opinion the 3 greatest racers EVER!
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
13 years ago
242 posts

I doubt that I could make only whole lap to try and qualify. LOL

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

Lol... I believe you could, Tommie!

--
Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
13 years ago
119 posts

Supermodifieds: Jim Shampine or Bentley Warren at Oswego. Because both were the best and raced clean and honest. Could do things with cars on a track no one would dare do.

DIRT Modifieds: Barefoot Bob McCreadie or Alan Johnson because they race hard and will always give you room. If you do not give them room they will not be afraid to rub your nerf bar to prove a point. These are two of my favorites

NASCAR: This is a good one. I guess Bobby Allison because from what I have been told he helped out the up and coming drivers. Dale Earnhardt because I think the thrill of racing the Intimadator would be fun

Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
13 years ago
40 posts

I would want to drive against Ivan Baldwin! Alwasy admired his determination and style, really would want to race against anyone in the old NASCAR LMS division!

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

The very thought of racing Tommie and Johnny on Middle Georgia Raceway is so exciting it would almost draw me out of retirement. Not sure how that race would come out but considering I don't recall ever finishing worse than third in any race the car was running at the finish I would think such a finish could be insured with just the three of us racing. What an honor it would be for me to run against that competition! Thanks for the thought Tommie.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
13 years ago
209 posts

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeff.

It would be an honor also Tim.

Three abreast start and I'll take the middle. Should I trust you or Johnny on the inside? LOL

We can dream, can't we???

As my Dawsonville Poolroom T-Shirt states. "The Older I Get The Faster I Was!"