Devastating News-The Passing of Wanda Lund

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

I am very saddened to report the death of RacersReunion member and wife of the late Tiny Lund, Wanda Lund. I was just now informed Wanda died last night as the result of a gunshot wound. There are few other details at this time.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®

updated by @jeff-gilder: 01/06/17 12:29:00AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Sad news, indeed.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Holy cow. Wow. So sorry to read this.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

I pray that her family may know God's comfort, peace and grace during this difficult time.

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
12 years ago
169 posts

Very sad news. May she rest in peace.

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
12 years ago
363 posts

Heartbreaking news. Prayers going out to her family and friends.

Devin
@devin
12 years ago
618 posts

I have no words.....just prevailing sadness at the moment.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
12 years ago
3,119 posts

What a tragic loss to her family, friends and all who knew her. Wanda was so full of everything good in life. She will be deeply missed. She and Tiny are together again. Somehow that thought consoles me and almost makes me smile to think of the joy the two of them are sharing at the moment. God bless you Wanda.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
12 years ago
907 posts

Thoughts and prayers

Billy Kingsley
@billy-kingsley
12 years ago
30 posts

This is truly horrible news. It's bad enough when someone dies of natural causes, but this...

May she rest in peace!

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
12 years ago
360 posts

May she RIP. Hope they find the loser that did this.

Carol Cain Henry
@carol-cain-henry
12 years ago
7 posts

I have lost one of the very best friends ever. She will always be in my heart.

Carol Cain Henry
@carol-cain-henry
12 years ago
7 posts

I assure you this was not self inflicting wound!

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
12 years ago
214 posts

what blow to hear about wanda lund.just awsome peason to be around.so wonderful to hear her story about tiny.i feel she was family to me.every time i saw her she give me big hug.she will be miss.my prayer are to her family at this time

Michael W. Smith
@michael-w-smith
12 years ago
109 posts

Carol you will be in our prayers. What a terrible loss very very sad. W

Charles Craig
@charles-craig
12 years ago
57 posts

May God bless her. I spent an afternoon at her house a couple of years ago and she treated me like she had known me all of her life. She was always smiling and full of enthusiasm forkeeping Tiny's memory alive and she was proud of her boys.

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

I had just heard about this, terribly sad....

Larry Frank
@larry-frank
12 years ago
14 posts

I am just heartbroken over hearing this news this morning. Chrissy Pistone called me so that I wouldn't hear it on the news or Internet. I am totally in shock and so sad. I spoke with her about a month ago and invited her to come and stay a few days with me and she promised that she would. We were both laughing about learning to use our new iPhones and she washappy to be learning the computer. She could ALWAYS say something to make me laugh. So full of energy and had such azest for life. The last words she spoke to me were about Tiny and I like to think of them reunited in Heaven. Rest in peace my dear "Hillbilly" friend. You will be missed. Your friend, Margaret Frank

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
12 years ago
308 posts

My memories of Wanda go back to 1970 they are all good, funny and soom sad ones but I loved Wanda as much as anyone could and her loss leaves a hole in my heart that no one can ever fill.I was at the love of her life's funeral and sad to say I will attend also. She was a member of the Medical / Hardship fund from it's inception for now over 20 years. She was always willing to help in any situation and at anytime night or day. She had had a rough time over the last few years and she never gave up. But when the dust settles down and more of the events come out we then can start the grieving process. She will forever be in our hearts and memories. God speed Wanda.

LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
12 years ago
117 posts

Was reallysorry to hear this news.Wanda was alwayssmiling and so full of energy when I saw her.She

was so much a part of things when she came to Hillsboro.We will really miss you but you will never be forgotten.

May your Star always shine brightlyand may God Bless.

LAVERNE ZACHARY

HISTORIC SPEEDWAY GROUP

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Shocking.

God bless her

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

A lw a ys the smile...... we will cert a inly m is s it.... ..
......It is with a heavy heart that we report the passing of Wanda Lund the evening of Thursday, January 5th. Details are still forthcoming but initial indications are she took her own life, as indicated by a note left behind. A close family health problem as well as some recent news she received health wise were obviously a burden she could not bear.....

W a nd a just celebr a ted her 63rd birthd a y on December 10th a nd w a s looking forw a rd to seeing her beloved A l a b a m a Crimson Tide pl a y for the college footb a ll n a tion a l ch a mpionship on Mond a y, J a n. 9th. W a nd a a nd friends pl a nned to be in D a yton a for Speedweeks in a few weeks to a ccept a n a w a rd for Tiny a t the Victory L a ne R a cing A ssoci a tion b a nquet on Feb. 23rd. She SO looked forw a rd to th is trip.

Larry Frank
@larry-frank
12 years ago
14 posts

Oh my goodness Jimmy, sounds just like something she would say. One of the most entertaining, fun times I ever experienced was with her, Larry and myself at Darlington. We were staying in the same hotel and was in the hotel bar the night before the race. Billy Ray Cyrus had a brand new hit called, "Achy Breaky Heart." I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my whole life. She was an absolute hoot. It's good memories like that that I'll remember about her. She was like sunshine and added a spark wherever she went and you're exactly right, those stories and memories will keep her alive, always.

Tom
@tom
12 years ago
12 posts

I can't seem to find out much about this unfortunate tragedy. The last search on Saturday morning on NASCAR.COM turned up nothing. Thankfully, we have Racer's Reunion here. Sometimes I don't think NASCAR cares about it's rich past. I'm not talking about the drivers. People seem to forget about those were behind the success of these guys. You know, when times were tough and everyone was starting out, struggling just to be able to make it to a race. The families of these guys deserve to be recognized and remembered. They sacrificed just as much if not more than the drivers.

danny quick2
@danny-quick2
12 years ago
15 posts

go to jayski's.com it has a story about wanda.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

IM going to use a Forrest Gump saying here---

I met the lady a few years ago and my memory of her is a great wonderful caring person,and thats how she will remain in my mind AND THATS ALL I GOT TO SAY ABOUT IT!! ----------------memories

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

Last week I read a RR blog post by Jean Sutton titled Help Bill. Please take the time to read it, it will tell you a lot about Wanda Lund Early. I encourage all those who want to honor Wanda's memory to make a contribution to help Bill, I think it would make her smile. I'll be thinking of my favorite Hillbilly when I write my check.

Dub Simpson
@dub-simpson
12 years ago
8 posts

Very Sorry, May She Rest Peace

Jean Sutton
@jean-sutton
12 years ago
1 posts

Hello everyone....I am Jean,the mother of the boy Wanda was trying to help..When she found out that Bill needed a kidney transplant,she was the first one that wanted to be tested. She was turned down because she had diabetes.She spoke to almost everyone she came in contact with about Bill. She said he reminded her so very much of Tiny by the way he drove his dirt track car. Dirt track was where we first met Wanda.She immediately walked up to Bill and told him she either wanted to marry him or be his mother ! (typical Wanda),he told her she couldnt be his mama because he already had one of those,so she said,Well actually,I'm married, so can I be your aunt Wanda? He told her"it would be a pleasure to call you aunt Wanda" and they began that relationship on that note. Bill has had a lot of complications since he had to go on dialysis,he also had to give up his racing,but Wanda never gave up trying to help him.She said,if I cant give him a kidney....maybe I can help pay some of his expenses so she set up an account at Hometrust bank Clyde N.C.28721...The William Revels benefit fund. Donations can be made at any HOMETRUST bank. Wanda posted this on her FACEBOOK page and was soooo excited by helping Bill in any way she could.She called me daily and asked if any donations came in? I had to tell her,not yet. She always had the same reply...she would sigh,and say " they will probably start tomorrow". God bless her,she never gave up! I talked with her at length Wednesday night and she told me she loved me,I was her soul sister...I said,yes,we have to be! She then said"tell Bill I love him and don'tEVER give up! We said goodnight,talk to you tomorrow,love you, bye...She called myphone Thur.when I called back ..no answer!

Larry Frank
@larry-frank
12 years ago
14 posts

A Memorial Service for Wanda Lund will be held on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 2:00 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church in Waynesville, NC. My thoughts and continued prayers to all of Wanda's family and friends. She will surely be missed.

April Phillips
@april-phillips
12 years ago
1 posts

Wanda was my cousin and we will miss her very much. She loved all things racing and I know she will be looking down from above on us all with her arms around Tiny grinning. Please keep Chris in your thoughts and prayers as Wednesday draws near. This will be one of the hardest days of his life and will need all the support he can get.

Tom
@tom
12 years ago
12 posts

In re-reading my post, I conveyed I was looking for details. That was not totally my intention. I should clear up any misunderstanding I may have conveyed. My intention for my postwas to the fact that NASCAR surprisingly made no mention of Wanda's passing on NASCAR.com. I am sorry if i may have offended anyone, as that was not my intention. I would also like to pass along my prayers for all of Wanda's family and friends during this difficult time.