IS THIS TRUE OR FALSE

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Richard Petty Motorsports Has Cars RepossessedThe news broke today that Richard Petty Motorsports is on the verge of closing its doors."The assembly line from Roush Fenway Racing and Roush Yates engines, which supply chassis and engines respectively, has stopped running to RPM. Engines have been picked up, cars have been repossessed, and sources on both sides -- RPM and RFR -- say no cars will be delivered beyond this weekend," source said.
updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Devin
@devin
14 years ago
618 posts
Is it true, Johnny?!
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
from what I read it is
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

ouch billy does that mean tim could create a bill for richard ??
Billy Biscoe (arustyracer) said:
Ok Legend : Time to get your check book out and "SAVE THE KING".Gillett is broke and Richard won't spend any of his own money.Especially on race cars.
But rest assured the lawyers working this case WILL GET THERES !
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
I first heard of this about 11:15 a.m. today, but from rumors going around. Next I heard about it was when Free Pennington mentioned it on his show. I have gone to some of my contacts, for what that's worth, and no one seems to know anything for sure or will say anything for sure. I think Billy B stated facts here as close as those can be stated and Billy B. would know. I have plenty of comments to make, but ESPN hasn't called me yet.Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

Tim here is what I know The assembly line from Roush Fenway Racing and Roush Yates engines, which supply chassis and engines respectively, has stopped running to RPM. Engines have been picked up, cars have been repossessed, and sources on both sides RPM and RFR say no cars will be delivered beyond this weekend, .
Richard Petty Motorsports has cars prepped and ready for Talladega. But does not have engines or gears for those cars.

George Gillett is the majority owner of the team, with Petty as the front man running the operation. Gillett and John Henry, a partner in Roush Fenway Racing, are currently involved in a legal battle over the sale of another sports franchise a soccer team; the Liverpool Football Club of the Premier League in England.

Employees at Richard Petty Motorsports were told today that they may not have jobs following Sundays race at Martinsville.

The news leaves 3 drivers with their futures in question. Marcos Ambrose was slated to take the wheel of the No. 9 car next year to replace Kahne who is headed to Hendrick Motorsports in 2012, and who is making a stop at Red Bull for 2011. A.J. Allmendinger and Elliott Sadler would also be left without rides if the doors close at the race shop. Paul Menard also drives for the team, but is already set to move to Richard Childress Racing next year.

Petty joined Gillett after merging his own race team with Boston Ventures. That team later was merged with Gilletts team.

It will be a shame if we no longer see the No. 43 on the track after all these years. What do you think?

Tim Leeming said:
I first heard of this about 11:15 a.m. today, but from rumors going around. Next I heard about it was when Free Pennington mentioned it on his show. I have gone to some of my contacts, for what that's worth, and no one seems to know anything for sure or will say anything for sure. I think Billy B stated facts here as close as those can be stated and Billy B. would know. I have plenty of comments to make, but ESPN hasn't called me yet.
Tim
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
And to make matters even worse, I heard that Wednesday evening, that Kasey has left the team for the rest of the season. I heard that as they were taking off the decals of Kasey's hauler. This is sad :(
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
14 years ago
53 posts
Rumor was about Kasey is that he got fired. Dont know if that true. I know he is no longer with the team. It all stemmed from what happened Saturday night and with Kasey refusing to take the car back on track because he was sick. The next day he ran a marathon and that made the head of team operations mad and so they let him go.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
he probably got sick over the news of the mess this team has gotten itself into
Thomas K. Craig said:
Rumor was about Kasey is that he got fired. Dont know if that true. I know he is no longer with the team. It all stemmed from what happened Saturday night and with Kasey refusing to take the car back on track because he was sick. The next day he ran a marathon and that made the head of team operations mad and so they let him go.
Michael W. Smith
@michael-w-smith
14 years ago
109 posts
Just give the story a couple days and it will all play out. Kasey seen it coming and bailed. Smart move. Richardwill be fine. He is still the King!. Marcos and all the other players need to do a check up from the neck up and decide what is best for them. There have allways been owners in the sport that have written checks with their mouth that their ass couldn't cash! Stay tuned folks this is the drama of the modern Nascar! W
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
This news makes me feel the same as Richard's last race in 1992 at Atlanta...very sad. It's just so hard to compete with the multi million dollar mega teams of today.Pete sad in Michigan
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Patty, your statements ring true. The irony is that a major reason Nascar has become so big is Richard Petty.Most of Richard's career he ran it his way and it worked. Maybe it's time for the Richard to head on home and call it a day.
Mike Ray2
@mike-ray2
14 years ago
27 posts
Dear Johnny,If this is indeed true and I hope it's not it could be the end of RPM.I know they have cars for next weekend at big"T" and they were getting the engines back this morning.I read on some website last night they were millions of dollars in debt.I suppose it's the signs of the times.Maybe they can shift some money around and finish out the year.I have prayed for the team and everybody involved.peace,out.
Ron Kirkpatrick
@ron-kirkpatrick
14 years ago
1 posts
Thats to bad. I guess everyone is feeling the economy..
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Well, Patty. All the BIG money aside. Petty was the BIG Fish for a long time. They had the best of everything. Factory support including the first HEMI racing engine and they secured one of if not the first corporate sponsors with STP.So here we are.This was bound to happenWhen Corporate America got a hook in it was a done deal. Eventhough I dislike Nascar's business model I am not sure that Fryin Brian is to blame.This is a performance based business as all are and when Petty Enterprises shuddered it happened because of subpar or mediocre results. Petty tried to address it with Boston Ventures and then Gillett neither of whom are racers so to speak.The time could be near that there will no longer be a 43 on track. This number should be retired from competition befitting it's legacy in racing.
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
Well the way i see it raceing has changed over the years money has allways ruled back in the day the big teams would spend 1,000 dallars and a 2 man team would spend 250;00 dallars the 1,000 dallar team runs faster and wins well the same thing is going on now but the bigest thing that is Killing Nascar and outher raceing is the like of Fan suport not showing up at the track but wait one sec we still have Jeff Gelder and RacersReunion thats fine with me
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
It was a sad day in February, 1961, when Lee Petty sailed out of Daytona International Speedway on the front bumper of Johnny Beauchamps car. I am sitting here looking at a picture of Richard and Lee at Daytona in 1962, Lee sitting in the number 42 as if he is going to race. He tried a few times, I recall, in 1962, but he had lost the fire. I remember seeing Lee and Richard at Rambi Raceway in July, 1963, with two 1963 Plymouth Furys with names painted on the doors as they were street cars parked in the infield. That was the day Lynda asked me to watch a three year old Kyle for a few minutes. I watched Richard run his last race in 1992 at Atlanta after being at Charlotte and Darlington with him that year. I remember getting his autographs after the Southern 500 which I still have on my pit pass. He was so tired you would not know it was really his autograph and after all the years of following him and hounding him after races it was sad then to know the age had caught up with him as it does with all of us. Watching on TV that Sunday when Richard came out in that damaged car to run the last lap at Atlanta was a tearful experience for me as I saw the end of my life of excitement over the 43 disappearing into turn three. The next year, as hard as I tried to pull for Rick Wilson in the 44, it was just not the same.As for Kyle, I believe his potential was there,but the Ernie Irvan caused wreck at Talladega that injured Kyle's leg so badly took something out of Kyle. He was never his father, nor his grandfather, nor was he intended to be or wanted to be. He was, and is, Kyle, and that's good enough for him and for me. Right in front of where I sit now is a picture of Kyle and my Mom talking to him as she loved to do.Then comes Adam. I was at Myrtle Beach Speedway one night in the mid nineties I guess, and walked by a Legends car with Adam written on the roof. There was this gangly kid with the trademark Petty smile who I know couldn't have been 13. We spoke very briefly as I passed by to get information on the upcoming race for my radio show the next week. I told him I would be back to talk later, but those were the only words I every exchanged with Adam Petty. I was sitting at a desk in my office in the law firm that afternoon when someone called, not even a race fan, to say he had just heard Adam Petty was killed at the track in New Hampshire. I refused to believe it, would not believe it even that night when I saw it on the sports. Adam was my new lease on my racing life. He had the smile of The King, the genuinely sweet personality of his Daddy, and the competitive fire of his great granddad who had started it all. It was, for me, the bullet in the gut that used to cause the cowboys such painful deaths in the wildwest gunfights.I could not understand, at the time, how Richard was so without emotion, but I think I understand now that his emotions, of any kind, are not for public display. As for Kyle and Patty,they have done tremendous good with The Victory Junction Camp.Then came the closing of Petty Enterprises. Again I felt slapped down, desserted, and wasn't sure of my next step with racing. I never believed, from the first second, that Richard Petty was anything more than a name conveniently used by George Gillette and the big money folks to give that race team some legetimacy. Everytime I saw Richard on TV for any interview, the spark was gone, there was no "Petty genuiness" there.Then, two weeks ago my good friend Terry Huntley gave me the DVD "Petty Blue", which I watched the next night. I had a lump in my throat for a lot of that DVD and tears in my eyes on three different times. My King was abdicating, it was obvious even then, and there was no prince to inherit the throne.Now, this. Now the Gillette, Fenway, Rousch, Yates, Soccer, Baseball debacle that has destroyed what was. As Margaret Mitchell wrote in the 30s, it is "Gone With The Wind".Not to have a number 43 on the track will be the ultimate example of how far we've come from the golden days of stock car racing and all the things that fascinate those of us who are loyal members of Racers Reunion. I will survive, as will The King. I would almost think he will be at the race track no matter what. After all, he's been there for 60 years. Probably doesn't know how to sit down in a recliner on a Sunday afternoon. I have issues with the way it happened, but Richard Petty is Richard Petty and he cannot be dimished by such actions outside his control.I would like to say this to NASCAR: When Richard retired, he ran #44 on the Petty entry the next year and there was no #43. As I understand your ruling handed down to Richard, either he return the 43 to competition or it was up from grabs to any team wanting it. That same restriction has NOT been issued to Richard Childress as to the number 3. If you have, indeed, retired the number 3, then you need to find it within your heart, if, in fact any of you have hearts, to retire the number 43.Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
Tim, words cannot even speak about how great that piece was written! To me, that was 10 times better than Petty Blue. Even though that was great and told some of the more "hidden" stuff, I think if you were to make a movie just about your Petty Stories, it would sell out better than "Days of Thunder" Even though you brag on me a lot, now it's my turn Legend. You have had a dream life! Knowing the Petty's personally, talking to them, racing yourself. But just about your experience with the Petty's is good enough for a book! Every time you tell a Petty related story, I feel like I know them myself. Of course that could never happen in a million years, but like I said earlier, Just what you wrote above, is just unbelievable!Now I know why you're called "The Legend"

Tim Leeming said:
It was a sad day in February, 1961, when Lee Petty sailed out of Daytona International Speedway on the front bumper of Johnny Beauchamps car. I am sitting here looking at a picture of Richard and Lee at Daytona in 1962, Lee sitting in the number 42 as if he is going to race. He tried a few times, I recall, in 1962, but he had lost the fire. I remember seeing Lee and Richard at Rambi Raceway in July, 1963, with two 1963 Plymouth Furys with names painted on the doors as they were street cars parked in the infield. That was the day Lynda asked me to watch a three year old Kyle for a few minutes. I watched Richard run his last race in 1992 at Atlanta after being at Charlotte and Darlington with him that year. I remember getting his autographs after the Southern 500 which I still have on my pit pass. He was so tired you would not know it was really his autograph and after all the years of following him and hounding him after races it was sad then to know the age had caught up with him as it does with all of us. Watching on TV that Sunday when Richard came out in that damaged car to run the last lap at Atlanta was a tearful experience for me as I saw the end of my life of excitement over the 43 disappearing into turn three. The next year, as hard as I tried to pull for Rick Wilson in the 44, it was just not the same.
As for Kyle, I believe his potential was there,but the Ernie Irvan caused wreck at Talladega that injured Kyle's leg so badly took something out of Kyle. He was never his father, nor his grandfather, nor was he intended to be or wanted to be. He was, and is, Kyle, and that's good enough for him and for me. Right in front of where I sit now is a picture of Kyle and my Mom talking to him as she loved to do.
Then comes Adam. I was at Myrtle Beach Speedway one night in the mid nineties I guess, and walked by a Legends car with Adam written on the roof. There was this gangly kid with the trademark Petty smile who I know couldn't have been 13. We spoke very briefly as I passed by to get information on the upcoming race for my radio show the next week. I told him I would be back to talk later, but those were the only words I every exchanged with Adam Petty. I was sitting at a desk in my office in the law firm that afternoon when someone called, not even a race fan, to say he had just heard Adam Petty was killed at the track in New Hampshire. I refused to believe it, would not believe it even that night when I saw it on the sports. Adam was my new lease on my racing life. He had the smile of The King, the genuinely sweet personality of his Daddy, and the competitive fire of his great granddad who had started it all. It was, for me, the bullet in the gut that used to cause the cowboys such painful deaths in the wildwest gunfights.
I could not understand, at the time, how Richard was so without emotion, but I think I understand now that his emotions, of any kind, are not for public display. As for Kyle and Patty,they have done tremendous good with The Victory Junction Camp.
Then came the closing of Petty Enterprises. Again I felt slapped down, desserted, and wasn't sure of my next step with racing. I never believed, from the first second, that Richard Petty was anything more than a name conveniently used by George Gillette and the big money folks to give that race team some legetimacy. Everytime I saw Richard on TV for any interview, the spark was gone, there was no "Petty genuiness" there.
Then, two weeks ago my good friend Terry Huntley gave me the DVD "Petty Blue", which I watched the next night. I had a lump in my throat for a lot of that DVD and tears in my eyes on three different times. My King was abdicating, it was obvious even then, and there was no prince to inherit the throne.
Now, this. Now the Gillette, Fenway, Rousch, Yates, Soccer, Baseball debacle that has destroyed what was. As Margaret Mitchell wrote in the 30s, it is "Gone With The Wind".
Not to have a number 43 on the track will be the ultimate example of how far we've come from the golden days of stock car racing and all the things that fascinate those of us who are loyal members of Racers Reunion. I will survive, as will The King. I would almost think he will be at the race track no matter what. After all, he's been there for 60 years. Probably doesn't know how to sit down in a recliner on a Sunday afternoon. I have issues with the way it happened, but Richard Petty is Richard Petty and he cannot be dimished by such actions outside his control.
I would like to say this to NASCAR: When Richard retired, he ran #44 on the Petty entry the next year and there was no #43. As I understand your ruling handed down to Richard, either he return the 43 to competition or it was up from grabs to any team wanting it. That same restriction has NOT been issued to Richard Childress as to the number 3. If you have, indeed, retired the number 3, then you need to find it within your heart, if, in fact any of you have hearts, to retire the number 43.
Tim
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Tim your words are heartfelt by many of us.Indeed there is no prince to inheret the throne.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

and to make bad matters worse not even a "princess" even :(
Richard Guido said:
Tim your words are heartfelt by many of us.

Indeed there is no prince to inheret the throne.
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
The first time I saw Richard he was a 13year old playing in the pits at Wilson County Fairgrounds with another younger kid (Buddy Baker).

Tim Leeming said:
It was a sad day in February, 1961, when Lee Petty sailed out of Daytona International Speedway on the front bumper of Johnny Beauchamps car. I am sitting here looking at a picture of Richard and Lee at Daytona in 1962, Lee sitting in the number 42 as if he is going to race. He tried a few times, I recall, in 1962, but he had lost the fire. I remember seeing Lee and Richard at Rambi Raceway in July, 1963, with two 1963 Plymouth Furys with names painted on the doors as they were street cars parked in the infield. That was the day Lynda asked me to watch a three year old Kyle for a few minutes. I watched Richard run his last race in 1992 at Atlanta after being at Charlotte and Darlington with him that year. I remember getting his autographs after the Southern 500 which I still have on my pit pass. He was so tired you would not know it was really his autograph and after all the years of following him and hounding him after races it was sad then to know the age had caught up with him as it does with all of us. Watching on TV that Sunday when Richard came out in that damaged car to run the last lap at Atlanta was a tearful experience for me as I saw the end of my life of excitement over the 43 disappearing into turn three. The next year, as hard as I tried to pull for Rick Wilson in the 44, it was just not the same.
As for Kyle, I believe his potential was there,but the Ernie Irvan caused wreck at Talladega that injured Kyle's leg so badly took something out of Kyle. He was never his father, nor his grandfather, nor was he intended to be or wanted to be. He was, and is, Kyle, and that's good enough for him and for me. Right in front of where I sit now is a picture of Kyle and my Mom talking to him as she loved to do.
Then comes Adam. I was at Myrtle Beach Speedway one night in the mid nineties I guess, and walked by a Legends car with Adam written on the roof. There was this gangly kid with the trademark Petty smile who I know couldn't have been 13. We spoke very briefly as I passed by to get information on the upcoming race for my radio show the next week. I told him I would be back to talk later, but those were the only words I every exchanged with Adam Petty. I was sitting at a desk in my office in the law firm that afternoon when someone called, not even a race fan, to say he had just heard Adam Petty was killed at the track in New Hampshire. I refused to believe it, would not believe it even that night when I saw it on the sports. Adam was my new lease on my racing life. He had the smile of The King, the genuinely sweet personality of his Daddy, and the competitive fire of his great granddad who had started it all. It was, for me, the bullet in the gut that used to cause the cowboys such painful deaths in the wildwest gunfights.
I could not understand, at the time, how Richard was so without emotion, but I think I understand now that his emotions, of any kind, are not for public display. As for Kyle and Patty,they have done tremendous good with The Victory Junction Camp.
Then came the closing of Petty Enterprises. Again I felt slapped down, desserted, and wasn't sure of my next step with racing. I never believed, from the first second, that Richard Petty was anything more than a name conveniently used by George Gillette and the big money folks to give that race team some legetimacy. Everytime I saw Richard on TV for any interview, the spark was gone, there was no "Petty genuiness" there.
Then, two weeks ago my good friend Terry Huntley gave me the DVD "Petty Blue", which I watched the next night. I had a lump in my throat for a lot of that DVD and tears in my eyes on three different times. My King was abdicating, it was obvious even then, and there was no prince to inherit the throne.
Now, this. Now the Gillette, Fenway, Rousch, Yates, Soccer, Baseball debacle that has destroyed what was. As Margaret Mitchell wrote in the 30s, it is "Gone With The Wind".
Not to have a number 43 on the track will be the ultimate example of how far we've come from the golden days of stock car racing and all the things that fascinate those of us who are loyal members of Racers Reunion. I will survive, as will The King. I would almost think he will be at the race track no matter what. After all, he's been there for 60 years. Probably doesn't know how to sit down in a recliner on a Sunday afternoon. I have issues with the way it happened, but Richard Petty is Richard Petty and he cannot be dimished by such actions outside his control.
I would like to say this to NASCAR: When Richard retired, he ran #44 on the Petty entry the next year and there was no #43. As I understand your ruling handed down to Richard, either he return the 43 to competition or it was up from grabs to any team wanting it. That same restriction has NOT been issued to Richard Childress as to the number 3. If you have, indeed, retired the number 3, then you need to find it within your heart, if, in fact any of you have hearts, to retire the number 43.
Tim
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
every time i start to dig on this subject i find out more about this than maybe i want to know---seems as there is dirty money in several pockets including the #6 and #17 this is not the way our sport needs to be run. i know it had bootlegging in it to start but that was traded for a cold bottle of Pepsi (thought I was going to say beer didnt you) but now we have the cars from the rising sun and now more multi card players who dont give a dang about our sport . Im through digging on this subject,someone else can pursue it.
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
If what i herd from a Legdon turns out to be true my out look on raceing will change for ever it will never be the same
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
14 years ago
219 posts
Listen folks! This is a strange, but by no means unexpected, twist in the reign of "the king". I am in no way as knowledgeable as some of you profess to be, but I have been in the sport all my life, so I know a bit about how the system works. I also worked for the Pettys for a short time "waaaaay" back in the day. The last race my daddy won was at North Wilkesboro in a Petty car and the last race of my uncle Bobby's life came at Darlington in a Petty Oldsmobile and while I am certain things have changed somewhat over the years, the truth is people are pretty much the same for most of their career and lives. The "King" will be fine. It may take a while, but he will be fine. He has a lot on his plate outside the fences of the tracks as witnessed by the team statement being made to the press by Robbie Lomis instead of Richard but in time things will play out the way they are intended.As for the comments about the reasons for the demise of RPM being at the feet of NASCAR and Brian France and "big money"; This isn't the first time shady deals on the ownership front or teams unexpectedly closing the doors have rocked the sport and they were way before Brian France. Can any of you say Warner Hogdon, J.D. Stacy, Harry Ranier and more recently the "developer" (Bobby Ginn) and others I am sure have dotted the racing landscape from the big leagues of NASCAR right on down to the grass roots of our sport. I even recall the shock, outrage and unanswered questions when Petty Enterprises closed the doors both times and when Junior Johnson moved down the road from Ingle Hollow.NASCAR has its troubles (and I am absolutely NOT a Brian France fan) but this certainly isn't all of his making. There are several others inside those "hallowed" walls on US 92 involved in the thought process of NASCAR who were there with "Big Bill" and Bill, Jr. We can only guess how much influence they have over Brian with ideas that were "suppressed" during the reigns of Brian's dad and grandfather. You must know by now, NASCAR has a history of hiring people who will do the bidding of those in charge and except for a handful of trusted people, most there are doing tasks assigned to them. You have to wonder how much influence those trusted few have over Brian France who probably is probably a much weaker leader than his dad and grandfather before him.Attendance and ratings at/for "cup" events mirrors the economy. The NFL can't fill their stadiums (and they only have 16 games), the NHL plays to half-full arenas, the Yankees can't fill "the house that Ruth built" for a playoff game and have you noticed the empty seats at a Formula One race not to mention the "little" tracks with empty seats throughout the country. On an ironic note, World Cup soccer (the sport that started this whole thing with Gillette, Hicks/Henry) keeps on thriving.Like I said before. "The "King" will be okay. In the meantime, say a prayer for his wife, thank Kyle and Patty for Victory Junction, keep remembering the "heroes" of the sport we all love and support racing in general whenever and wherever you can.
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
14 years ago
121 posts
Everything that Johnny has stated on here is true from what I heard at Martinsville over the weekend. There was a report on ESPN about the situation. The question is how will all of this be resolved, especially for Talladega. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you let business people become minority and majority owners, that do not have an idea about racing and running a team, and not have racing people running the ownership show. It was only a matter of time before something as sad as this happened. Petty just happened to be the first. The state of the economy does not help either as costs go up, teams are forced to look for partners to keep up with trends and expenses. Hopefully, this could be a lesson for other teams as well to look at their paperwork and take note. This will certainly stir the pot in the industry.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

Randy, I enjoyed reading your rendition of the Petty delima, if indeed thats what it is. But your words of wit you so diligently wrote in reference to the France Pyramid which may fall unless all the blocks are correctly aligned are very true also. True I am not very well versed as you and Tim are on Richards house of Racing but I think he has a chore on his hands at the moment with what the shady crew who was playing leader of the Laundry-mat left him with the racing aspect . BUT I have not doubt that next year there will be a new and better 43 flying the Petty colors, true it may not be a Dodge but it will be a force that will bear watching . My take on this subject from what I have nosed around and found, but wait arent I one of those has beens too???----------------------------------------memories
Randy Myers said:
Listen folks! This is a strange, but by no means unexpected, twist in the reign of "the king". I am in no way as knowledgeable as some of you profess to be, but I have been in the sport all my life, so I know a bit about how the system works. I also worked for the Pettys for a short time "waaaaay" back in the day. The last race my daddy won was at North Wilkesboro in a Petty car and the last race of my uncle Bobby's life came at Darlington in a Petty Oldsmobile and while I am certain things have changed somewhat over the years, the truth is people are pretty much the same for most of their career and lives. The "King" will be fine. It may take a while, but he will be fine. He has a lot on his plate outside the fences of the tracks as witnessed by the team statement being made to the press by Robbie Lomis instead of Richard but in time things will play out the way they are intended.
As for the comments about the reasons for the demise of RPM being at the feet of NASCAR and Brian France and "big money"; This isn't the first time shady deals on the ownership front or teams unexpectedly closing the doors have rocked the sport and they were way before Brian France. Can any of you say Warner Hogdon, J.D. Stacy, Harry Ranier and more recently the "developer" (Bobby Ginn) and others I am sure have dotted the racing landscape from the big leagues of NASCAR right on down to the grass roots of our sport. I even recall the shock, outrage and unanswered questions when Petty Enterprises closed the doors both times and when Junior Johnson moved down the road from Ingle Hollow.
NASCAR has its troubles (and I am absolutely NOT a Brian France fan) but this certainly isn't all of his making. There are several others inside those "hallowed" walls on US 92 involved in the thought process of NASCAR who were there with "Big Bill" and Bill, Jr. We can only guess how much influence they have over Brian with ideas that were "suppressed" during the reigns of Brian's dad and grandfather. You must know by now, NASCAR has a history of hiring people who will do the bidding of those in charge and except for a handful of trusted people, most there are doing tasks assigned to them. You have to wonder how much influence those trusted few have over Brian France who probably is probably a much weaker leader than his dad and grandfather before him.
Attendance and ratings at/for "cup" events mirrors the economy. The NFL can't fill their stadiums (and they only have 16 games), the NHL plays to half-full arenas, the Yankees can't fill "the house that Ruth built" for a playoff game and have you noticed the empty seats at a Formula One race not to mention the "little" tracks with empty seats throughout the country. On an ironic note, World Cup soccer (the sport that started this whole thing with Gillette, Hicks/Henry) keeps on thriving.
Like I said before. "The "King" will be okay. In the meantime, say a prayer for his wife, thank Kyle and Patty for Victory Junction, keep remembering the "heroes" of the sport we all love and support racing in general whenever and wherever you can.
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
14 years ago
219 posts
Johnny, there was no "wit" intended in my comments. In my opinion, thats the way things are in NASCAR. In my opinion, Brian is a much weaker leader than his dad and grandfather. The team he assembled is one of the best marketing machines around and they play to the strengths (and weaknesses) of the race fan. I do beleive they underestimated the strength of the "new" fans who are nowhere near as loyal as the "old folks" like me and that turnover in the fan base clearly shows during troubled times. And as I said before, there are others "inside the walls" who have infulence over a "weaker" leader to some degree and they may not have ideas that are always best for the sport we love.The "COT", which I'm sure would never have existed under the hand of "Big Bill" and Jr., probably did more to turn off us "oldsters" than anything and while I'm not really a "chase" fan, with a little tweaking, it could possibly create some season-ending excitement. Remembering "back in the day", there was also some boring points battles then as well. No matter what you and I think, NASCAR will continue. They may struggle, but they will certainly survive this "recession", possibly even realizing their "errors" and returning to what we all grew up in. NAH! That ain't gonna happen. (That really was an attempt at wit.)As for Richard's house of racing. If it survives, it will certainly be different in the future and I'm sure "the King" will be wiser and I'm sure he will be around in some capacity for as long as he wants. I wish him well.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

Randy, you are a wise and talented man and also one of knowledge in our world of racing. You sir continue your writings because I for one enjoy your chosen words about our sport we so love and by chance other people in higher places may just read our concerns and by chance correct the wrongs that have been done to our sport.
Randy Myers said:
Johnny, there was no "wit" intended in my comments. In my opinion, thats the way things are in NASCAR. In my opinion, Brian is a much weaker leader than his dad and grandfather. The team he assembled is one of the best marketing machines around and they play to the strengths (and weaknesses) of the race fan. I do beleive they underestimated the strength of the "new" fans who are nowhere near as loyal as the "old folks" like me and that turnover in the fan base clearly shows during troubled times. And as I said before, there are others "inside the walls" who have infulence over a "weaker" leader to some degree and they may not have ideas that are always best for the sport we love.
The "COT", which I'm sure would never have existed under the hand of "Big Bill" and Jr., probably did more to turn off us "oldsters" than anything and while I'm not really a "chase" fan, with a little tweaking, it could possibly create some season-ending excitement. Remembering "back in the day", there was also some boring points battles then as well. No matter what you and I think, NASCAR will continue. They may struggle, but they will certainly survive this "recession", possibly even realizing their "errors" and returning to what we all grew up in. NAH! That ain't gonna happen. (That really was an attempt at wit.)
As for Richard's house of racing. If it survives, it will certainly be different in the future and I'm sure "the King" will be wiser and I'm sure he will be around in some capacity for as long as he wants. I wish him well.
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
14 years ago
219 posts
Johnny, Thanks for the kind words. Maybe someone with a sense of history will see my comments. And while I am no "Legend", I did approve this message.

Johnny Mallonee said:

Randy, you are a wise and talented man and also one of knowledge in our world of racing. You sir continue your writings because I for one enjoy your chosen words about our sport we so love and by chance other people in higher places may just read our concerns and by chance correct the wrongs that have been done to our sport.
Randy Myers said:
Johnny, there was no "wit" intended in my comments. In my opinion, thats the way things are in NASCAR. In my opinion, Brian is a much weaker leader than his dad and grandfather. The team he assembled is one of the best marketing machines around and they play to the strengths (and weaknesses) of the race fan. I do beleive they underestimated the strength of the "new" fans who are nowhere near as loyal as the "old folks" like me and that turnover in the fan base clearly shows during troubled times. And as I said before, there are others "inside the walls" who have infulence over a "weaker" leader to some degree and they may not have ideas that are always best for the sport we love.
The "COT", which I'm sure would never have existed under the hand of "Big Bill" and Jr., probably did more to turn off us "oldsters" than anything and while I'm not really a "chase" fan, with a little tweaking, it could possibly create some season-ending excitement. Remembering "back in the day", there was also some boring points battles then as well. No matter what you and I think, NASCAR will continue. They may struggle, but they will certainly survive this "recession", possibly even realizing their "errors" and returning to what we all grew up in. NAH! That ain't gonna happen. (That really was an attempt at wit.)
As for Richard's house of racing. If it survives, it will certainly be different in the future and I'm sure "the King" will be wiser and I'm sure he will be around in some capacity for as long as he wants. I wish him well.
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
One the big advantages that Jr had was he was trained by Big Bill.I doubt that Brian ever swept up the track after an amature race at Bowman Gray or drove the water truck at North Wilksboro like Jr.

Randy Myers said:
Jay Sellers
@jay-sellers
14 years ago
65 posts
Amen.

Leon Phillips said:
Well the way i see it raceing has changed over the years money has allways ruled back in the day the big teams would spend 1,000 dallars and a 2 man team would spend 250;00 dallars the 1,000 dallar team runs faster and wins well the same thing is going on now but the bigest thing that is Killing Nascar and outher raceing is the like of Fan suport not showing up at the track but wait one sec we still have Jeff Gelder and RacersReunion thats fine with me