It is with deep regret and sadness that I must inform you all

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts

That I actually sat down this afternoon and watched the movie Red Line 7000 made in 1965. I had seen it at the world premier here in Columbia at special invitation of the movie producers. It was exciting with Ned Jarrett, Junior Johnson and several of the movie stars in attendance and I was privileged to sit with the VIP group. I believe Ned probably had something to do with that. However, after watching that movie today I am strongly considering contacting Jeff Gilder, resigning as The Legend, and joining that Monestary down on the coast. That was an awful, awful, awful movie. It was good, however, to see the 1964 and 1965 races they managed to get in there. Love those old cars.

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Ricky J. Coody
@ricky-j-coody
14 years ago
16 posts
Hey Tim, How do we figure out if the times changed, or have we changed that much?? LOL!! Rick
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Monk....Legend....Monk....Legend.....Monk....Legend. I just don't think monk fits you....especially not with all the "lore" surrounding you. Legend is more fitting.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Well the monk in tim i dont know--- Friar tuck was a monk of sorts he became a legend with robin hood but i just cant picture Sir Timmy in a MooMoo or how ever you spell it-- i can see him humming--saw him singing at mgr-- he hums a lot and does funny things with his hat but his hair is a little long---------------B U T who ever told him Red Line 7000 was a great movie true there were a couple of scenes in there where i think it was racing back in the day but all in all i dont think tim is the monk type monkee maybe but he has his corner in life and it sure isnt going around with a MOOMOO on ---------------- not yet at least he does have a vital part in life though,he is part of the magnificent "7"
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
ricky be careful there be very careful there have been sightings Ricky J. Coody said:
Hey Tim, How do we figure out if the times changed, or have we changed that much?? LOL!! Rick
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Bed sheets are not listed as monk lore only in legend lore he aint monk material they do strange stuff tim is just strange but he "is ours " Jeff Gilder said:
Monk....Legend....Monk....Legend.....Monk....Legend. I just don't think monk fits you....especially not with all the "lore" surrounding you. Legend is more fitting.
Devin
@devin
14 years ago
619 posts
He is and will remain the Legend! Not only is he among the Mag. 7, he is the leader of the Legendteers! johnny mallonee said:
Well the monk in tim i dont know--- Friar tuck was a monk of sorts he became a legend with robin hood but i just cant picture Sir Timmy in a MooMoo or how ever you spell it-- i can see him humming--saw him singing at mgr-- he hums a lot and does funny things with his hat but his hair is a little long---------------B U T who ever told him Red Line 7000 was a great movie true there were a couple of scenes in there where i think it was racing back in the day but all in all i dont think tim is the monk type monkee maybe but he has his corner in life and it sure isnt going around with a MOOMOO on ---------------- not yet at least he does have a vital part in life though,he is part of the magnificent "7"
Jimmie Collins
@jimmie-collins
14 years ago
4 posts
Oh no! Don't tell me that your Boogidy Boogidy Boogidy has got up and gone.
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
Plese don`t say the B word`s around the Legend
Jerry Sims
@jerry-sims
14 years ago
52 posts
Now you know why I try to get every race movie I can get my hands on. The movies are in COLOR and most photos and all the programs from that era are in glorious black and white. You'd be amazed at what I will sit through to get the specs to build my models. LOLBesides, I still like my model, based on the Ned Arp "tryout" version better than Banjo's real one with the skinny little numbers. Photobucket
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Tinker Bell said you were using her pixie dust in a strange way Jerry
Jerry Sims
@jerry-sims
14 years ago
52 posts
Since I figured out how to use it to make myself small enough to get in one of my cars me and ol' Tink have been getting along VERY well. LOL
Dave Redman
@dave-redman
14 years ago
11 posts
Tim,I hate to say it, but some parts of that movie are embarrasing to watch ALONE, much less with somebody else in the room.......Dave
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I watched it in the late 60's and it stunk. Wouldn't waste any time watching it today.Pete
Harvey Tollison
@harvey-tollison
14 years ago
226 posts
Too bad we can't find a copy of Tiny Lund Hard Charger
Robert Staley
@robert-staley
14 years ago
86 posts
Harvey Tollison said:
Robert Staley
@robert-staley
14 years ago
86 posts
and to think fireball 500 was worse. Robert Staley said:
Harvey Tollison said:
Jay Sellers
@jay-sellers
14 years ago
65 posts
I can't get the image of Tim in a moo moo out of my mind.
Mike Ray
@mike-ray
14 years ago
41 posts
Ha!Ha!,Tim you cracked me up,I watch all the old racing movies to see the cars.I even watched the "Last American Hero"this week and had to ask Ms.Hotrod if that was me in the end of the movie.One of the best day's I ever skipped school,what a learning experience!All the food you could eat and you could win a Vega.Good times,Good memories.peace,out.
Jerry Sims
@jerry-sims
14 years ago
52 posts
Don't know if that was you at the end of the movie but it was sure Precision Engine Service's Monte Carlo at the end! James Sears borrowed Clyde Norwood's and Henry Helms' metal flake (yes, metal flake not metallic, looked like a great big motorcycle helment)) red #3 Bobby Allison built '72 Monte Carlo and brought back a beat all to %%# red and gold Coca Cola #12.All those framin' and bammin' scenes from late it the race were done with Neil Castles' Grand National Plymouth and that dirt track Monte Carlo painted up like Richard Petty and Junior Johnson's Nascar rides. To say the least, Henry and Clyde were less than pleased with Mr. Sears' exploits with the Hollywood fraternity.
David Alfred Bayer
@david-alfred-bayer
14 years ago
9 posts
Now this might not top all your "Redline 7000" experiences, but as your fellow racing buddy and Stock Car Racers Reunion brother, I'll bare my soul. This movie was either based on a book or the book came after the movie. Yes, when I was about oh, 14 or 15 years old I found it in my High School Library and READ IT! Yikes. No color, no sound, no kiddin! And, even at that age I was far ahead of whatever curve the writer was on as far as my knowledge of the Sport. Needless to say, I didn't check it out again nor have I sought out my own copy since. NO, don't all race to hook me up with one now.........Dave Bayer
Jerry Sims
@jerry-sims
14 years ago
52 posts
I've got that book here somewhere but it wasn't related to the movie at all. I think in was Redline 7100 instead of 7000 but I can't be sure. It may have been W.E. Butterworth but again, I'm not sure. I've got an interview here somewhere with Howard Hawks, who did Redline 7000, stating that he wrote the screenplay using three short stories that would not have been enough material to carry a feature on their own.
Jim Seay
@jim-seay
14 years ago
17 posts
Tim,You might remember I was hired to MC the introduction of the "stars" and drivers from the stage of the Palmetto Theaster that night. Then sat with CaleYarborugh who thought the movie was great...not I. Also, Jim Hunter told me before the showing that that he had written the basic story.What was so bad abouit the movie? Well, for example, when you have J.T. Putney being chased in the film...and they identify his blue car as that of Richard Petty...you know something was amiss. And, there's no way any of us who have been public address announcers (and Tim did do that and some broadcasting) as an announcer in an open booth would have had the microp-hone around the midsection of his body and be heard by anyone.The scenes that showed the infield at Darlington empty the night before the Southern 500 would have given the late Bob Colvin a very pre-mature heart attack had it been real...and how about everyone going oto the same bar after a race ...no matter if it was in California, Darlington or anywhere else.So far, the only real true to life racing movie I've ever seen was Grand Prix...about Formula 1 racing. LeMans with Steve McQueen was too bad.Let's see if "Red Dirt Rising" can rescue the image of stock car racing.Jim Seay.
Dennis Schalm
@dennis-schalm
14 years ago
14 posts
You mean you actually paid attention to the plot? I've never watched a racing movie for anything but the vintage clips.